Murray rear engine riding mower help

Doug10w30

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I recently was given a Murray riding mower, model number 30577x8a and I noticed that the spring extension looks like it is wearing on the pulley. Now what I want to know is, is this spring important, why is it wearing on the pulley and does something need to be adjusted or repaired to correct this wearing issue? Also should I replace the spring or is it fine?

Attachments

• 20211017_210332(1).jpg
    20211017_210332(1).jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211017_210503(1).jpg
    20211017_210503(1).jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 9

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The spring is most likely the spring for the drive belt tensioner arm. It is important but would probably be fine for a awhile, but is isn't installed correctly and shouldn't be rubbing the engine pulley. Could be something as simple as installed upside down but could also be connected in the incorrect position on one or both ends.

Doug10w30

Forum Newbie
Threads
The spring is most likely the spring for the drive belt tensioner arm. It is important but would probably be fine for a awhile, but is isn't installed correctly and shouldn't be rubbing the engine pulley. Could be something as simple as installed upside down but could also be connected in the incorrect position on one or both ends.
Thanks for the reply, when I get home later today after work I will see if it is installed wrong, I will probably buy a replacement though for backup.

Doug10w30

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got a chance to look at it, and I do believe it is upside down, I will know more when my new spring gets here and I go to install it, but the diagram does seem to confirm that the spring is upside down due to the direction of the shifter side hook facing upward, while mine is facing downward.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like it should be on the outside of the bracket.

Doug10w30

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looks like it should be on the outside of the bracket.
Yeah that could be it, I have a diagram and it shows that my spring was mounted upside down on the bracket, so when my new spring gets here I will put it the way the diagram shows.