MTD Yardman Steering Shaft Issues

CaptainCowlick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey y’all,
Purchased a new-to-me Yard Man 42” about a month and a half ago, a couple of days ago I was mowing a yard for some side work and hit a limb that I didn’t see down and it twisted the wheel(s?) completely to the left and stripped the steering shaft spindle all the way so I had zero steering. I took the steering shaft out and replaced it with an OEM one, also replaced the hex bushing on the bottom of the shaft, steering worked fine for about 20 minutes after I got back to the job site. Now sometimes the steering shaft will ‘jump’ up and out of the hex hole that the bushing fits into. I changed out the washer on the bottom of the shaft but there is still a slight gap. Should I add another washer to the bottom and to the top inside the steering wheel to tighten prevent this slippage? I can provide model numbers and/or pictures for supporting information. Doing this all myself with zero help and low low LOW budget so even if it’s a Caucasian modification that’s fine by me! Thanks in advance

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Without the numbers all we can do is guess
On some of them there is a wire retainer that passes through the steering shaft which prevents the plastic bush coming out .
And I should not have to tell you than the mower you are using is barely able to meet residential use so trying to use it for a side shuffle is going to end up costing more than you will make .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Probably got the wrong hex bushing. There is a thin and a thick one.

You was gotten the 941-0656 and you need the 741-04124. The flange is nearly twice as thick on the 741-04124.

Either that or you got the wrong steering shaft. The stub that goes thru the hex bushing may too long. But suspect its the hex bushing jump out it hole that is the problem.

Last edited:

CaptainCowlick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Without the numbers all we can do is guess
On some of them there is a wire retainer that passes through the steering shaft which prevents the plastic bush coming out .
And I should not have to tell you than the mower you are using is barely able to meet residential use so trying to use it for a side shuffle is going to end up costing more than you will make .
Could you sound more condescending and ornery please? Model number 13AN791G755

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That model does use the 741-04124 hex bushing. It also uses the 738-0919B steering shaft.

CaptainCowlick

Forum Newbie
Threads
That model does use the 741-04124 hex bushing. It also uses the 738-0919B steering shaft.
That's the steering shaft that I got and the hex bushing that I got, I even went back to the shop to confirm that I had the correct bushing, it's the only one they carry. I had thought about putting another washer on the 1/2" bolt on the bottom and the 1/2" bolt inside the steering wheel to add tension on it. I had also thought about locktite or JB Welding the hex bushing into place and throwing as much grease as humanly possible to it

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Time to drag out the calipers. Measure the thickness the hex bushing flange.

941-0656 3mm (overall 5.81mm) 15/128" (overall 15/64")
741-04124 4.72mm (overall 7.52mm) 3/16" (overall 19/64")

CaptainCowlick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Time to drag out the calipers. Measure the thickness the hex bushing flange.

941-0656 3mm (overall 5.81mm) 15/128" (overall 15/64")
741-04124 4.72mm (overall 7.52mm) 3/16" (overall 19/64")
I have the 741-04124
I also measured the new steer shaft against the old one and they're the same, even down to the spindle head (minus the warped part from it stripping it)
I think I need to add washers to each end and make a snugger connection, gonna try that and see if that helps fix the issue. Will report back later!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was mowing a yard for some side work and hit a limb that I didn’t see down and it twisted the wheel(s?)
Old timers would walk the yard prior to mowing. Removing items like that as to not do mower/blade/deck/house/people damage.