MTD Yard Man 4145 - Query about Hydrodrive Release Valve Lever

StephenMillar

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / MTD Yard Man 4145 - Query about Hydrodrive Release Valve Lever
Hello,

New to tne Forum and desperate for some advice/help.

I have a 20 year old MTD Yard Man 4145. Well loved but, until last week, working fine when it wouldn’t restart after running (this has transpired to just be a blown fuse…now sorted). However, when trying to move the non-starting mower to my garage, I tried to engage tne Hydro release lever. This turned out to be not connected to anything (?) and just flopped uselessly. I ended up removing a wheel, and tne entire back of the mower just to gain access to the Hydrodrive linkage and see what was going on. On inspection there was a spring flopping around unconnected…but, it wasn’t obv where it had come loose from, nor where the Hydrodrive lever should connect to. In my ignorance I played around with the various levers etc and somehow activated the release valve (no idea how). At least I was able to push the mower under cover ?. However, with the starting problem sorted, I still don’t know where my errant spring/lever should go…and I can’t even seem to manually re-engage the Hydrodrive. Does anyone have any ideas???? Can’t seem to find a Yard Man/MTD technical department to email/phone…and my search for a schematic of how the linkage should look has proved fruitless. Grateful for any help…or prods in the right direction.
Sam

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Need the model off the serial tag. But this looks to be a CVT auto drive system and not a hydro drive system

StephenMillar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your post. I’m pretty sure it is a hydro…It’s actually called a 4145 Hydro. I’m attaching some pics (should’ve put them on in the first place)…

Regards

Sam

Attachments

• 7DFCAA45-AD6D-4E55-864F-055735D7F247.jpeg
    7DFCAA45-AD6D-4E55-864F-055735D7F247.jpeg
    866.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 9167874A-19CF-4721-9137-F9537D1BD288.jpeg
    9167874A-19CF-4721-9137-F9537D1BD288.jpeg
    804.8 KB · Views: 6

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes Sam it is hydro that why I needed the model number as MTD has both the CVT (which many users mistake for a hydro) and regular hydro. Yours has the Hydro Gear 310-0510 IHT

Maybe the Hydro Gear service manual will be of some help. At least you would where the control of the transaxle are located.

Service Manual for the Hydrogear 310-510

StephenMillar

Forum Newbie
Threads
TY so much for that. I’ve had a swift look at the manual…but, can’t see exactly what I’m looking for (sadly); but, that’s possibly just me being ‘hard of thinking’. I’ll take a closer look in the morning.

I’d done the obv with regards to trying to Google MTD/Yard Man tech support…with little success. No one answering phones and/or email messages returned as ‘undeliverable’. Seems a bit odd?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Waste of time contacting MTD unless you want to buy a complete new tranny.
They do not service the hydro units nor supply any parts for them .
You need to look up the IPL for your transmission on the hydro gear web page
There should be a short lever to activate the bypass which may have fallen off .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Actually the followingsite has the IPL for the mower including the transaxle. Now transaxle unit will have Hydro Gear pn numbers; just drop the HG- prefix.

13AP414A643 IPL

StephenMillar

Forum Newbie
Threads
TVM…for ALL your help!