MTD/Murray Front Wheel Lubing

1saxman

Threads
Earlier this year I decided to do the front wheels, and its a good thing I did, because they had very little grease in them. Apparently they did not grease the axle before installing the wheel, just hitting the grease fitting with the grease gun later. The problem is, the grease fittings were not open to the wheel bearing area. I found that out in the process of cleaning the parts and the open grease fittings (which were packed with dirt), so I opened the grease fittings at the bottom (punched thru) so grease will flow into the wheel axle/hub area.
To prevent the open grease fittings from getting dirty inside again, I put a rubber vacuum cap over each one. In this way there should be no necessity to remove the wheels again when lubing - just take the caps off and shoot some grease in until it shows at the outside axle ends.
So if you have one of these late model MTD 30" rear engine riders (Murray, Craftsman, Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt, etc.,), maybe you should check to see if there's any grease in the front wheels and if the fittings actually will pass grease.

Last edited: