MTD Lawnflite 940 Forward, Neutral & Reverse Selection Problems.

JBASport

Threads
  • / MTD Lawnflite 940 Forward, Neutral & Reverse Selection Problems.
I am experiencing problems with my Lawnflite 940. The mowing deck became beyond repair, so I thought I would take the deck off and use it as a mini tractor, as the engine is in good condition. However, it is really difficult to engage Forward, Neutral & Reverse. I have to fiddle with the selector and at times have to shut the engine off before I can change FN&R. Also, not sure if it is connected to the above problem, but it drives fine on ground anything up to about a 30 deg slope, anything above there is a clunking sound coming from the rear end and I couldnt get it to move, nor engage neutral or reverse. The only why I could solve the problem was to raise the rear axle off the ground. Can anybody give me any advice as to what might be the problem. Thanks, Terry.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you are having to shut it down before gears then it can be either the wrong belts or a bent pulley.

MTD mowers are very picky about the drive belts.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Model NO. would help.

MowerPoraiti

Forum Newbie
Threads
If your machine is anything like my MTD Series 900 with the continuously variable drive then you might find that the problem wear in the bevel gear assembly. See picture. I have similar problems but more significantly my machines started to bang loudly "down the back" when turning a corner or going up a slope. Clearly some gears were jumping a tooth or two. I couldn't find any problems with my bevel assembly but ultimately found that the transaxle differential was so badly worn that it was jumping internally. I replaced the transaxle and bingo no problems with lurching and banging and also no problems with gear selection. BTW I used John Deere corn header grease when I reassembled the unit. Seems to be working well. I packed the forward and reverse crown gears with extra shims to reduce the clearance toa minimum so the clutch collar engaged then with to the maximum without causing any clashing. I have more picures it these might help

Attachments

• DSC00342 cropped.jpg
    DSC00342 cropped.jpg
    957.9 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC00353c.jpg
    DSC00353c.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 3

JBASport

Threads
If your machine is anything like my MTD Series 900 with the continuously variable drive then you might find that the problem wear in the bevel gear assembly. See picture. I have similar problems but more significantly my machines started to bang loudly "down the back" when turning a corner or going up a slope. Clearly some gears were jumping a tooth or two. I couldn't find any problems with my bevel assembly but ultimately found that the transaxle differential was so badly worn that it was jumping internally. I replaced the transaxle and bingo no problems with lurching and banging and also no problems with gear selection. BTW I used John Deere corn header grease when I reassembled the unit. Seems to be working well. I packed the forward and reverse crown gears with extra shims to reduce the clearance toa minimum so the clutch collar engaged then with to the maximum without causing any clashing. I have more picures it these might help
Many thanks for that & I suspect that is my problem too. Was the transaxle expensive to replace? Thanks again, Terry

MowerPoraiti

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here in New Zealand the agent was absolutely hopeless. Said they would repair by complete replacement of the assembly. They really weren't interested in anything else. They sold me new bevel gears and clutch fork and that didn't work. The importers were also hopeless. hey did not import the differential assembly alone if I recall correctly. Contacted MTD and there was no response. Found the MTD replacement part on line at a lower price. Had it delivered to my nephew in Chicago. He was flying back to NZ for a holiday so brought it with him. Easy to install. Checked end floats, clearances etc. I had bought a pack of MTD shims to ensure I had the correct clearances. Got the John Deere grease from the local JD dealer ... 1/2 US Gal cost me a decent bottle of wine. Looked much better than the MTD grease which cavitates. The JD clings to the gears like crazy. Once I got the new one I could see the extent of slop/play in the old one. Installed carefully using shims to get clearances (I have details somewhere if you need them) with new grease. Diff has worked well sine which is more than I can say for the rest of the machine. The Kohler 23HP leaks oil, the hubs of the two rear wheels collapsed, the starter solenoid burnt out, the seat mountings collapsed (I am not heavy), the steering gear needed replacing ....... and it might have done 300 hours by now. The starter motor jammed due to a bent shaft - work that out. For as long as it works I will use it but won't buy another MTD.

Attachments

• composite old and new ld.png
    composite old and new ld.png
    351.7 KB · Views: 5

MowerPoraiti

Forum Newbie
Threads
BTW - adjust the shift lever with the transmission in neutral and then check F and R travel and gear engagement. Attached the transmission diagram. Also website where I got the part - about 2 years ago. The new assembly was slightly different externally but checked dimensions etc and all was good.

Attachments

• DIfferential from parts list.pdf
    456.3 KB · Views: 2
  • transaxle found.jpg
    transaxle found.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 2

JBASport

Threads
Wow, that is a very honest summary and can agree that the quality of the machine is less than we would hope. But nevertheless, the information is really helpful. Many thanks again. Kind regards, Terry

MowerPoraiti

Forum Newbie
Threads
A pleasure to be able to share my experience with the machine. (I also have a Japanese Canycom mower/tractor - expensive but solid - 4 wheel drive, high low speed drives, diff lock etc.) Yardman for flatter stuff Canycom for my really steep heavy going stuff.
If I can give more details for the Yardman just let me know.
Cheers
Malcolm from NZ

JBASport

Threads
Interesting and thanks again. Cheers, Terry