MTD/Huskee Lawn Tractor starting issue

mjones133

Forum Newbie
Threads
Problem started when I tried to use the tractor to pull a pretty big limb that was leaning against a tree down. Tractor took some pretty big jolts and there's a dent in the battery box/solenoid area where the strap was attached. Tractor was running when the limb came down. Then wouldn't start again.

When I turn the key, nothing happens, there's not even a click. Various YouTube videos suggest that probably meant it was either a fuse, a safety switch, or the solenoid.

• I made sure the battery was charged before I started
  • replaced the fuse, which was missing entirely, maybe that got knocked out when we pulled the tree down? That didn't solve it.
  • got a replacement for the solenoid and installed it. That didn't work, in fact not even a click.
  • double checked the connections, cleaned the battery terminals and I think the safety switches (seat, PTO and brake are working)

When all that failed I tried "bumping" the starter by creating a direct connection from the battery with a jumper cable. That worked in the Fall (post tree incident), there were sparks at the starter and it ran. It did not work this time.

Re-connected the battery to the charger, but the charger thinks it's fully charged. Battery is a few years old, keep it stored in a bucket in the basement during the winter to prevent freezing and keep it off the concrete.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove battery & take to Oreillys Auto Parts for load test at no charge, report back. thanks, Mark