MTD can't stop with new belts

paulvon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a new to me MTD Bolens Riding Mower with DOM 6/2007, came with the house :)

Sometimes when I would drive up my steep driveway the engine would keep running, but the mower would stop moving. If I moved around in the seat, the mower would start moving again. The clutch / brake pedal worked as expected, when on flat ground, or downhill. I looked at the upper and lower belts and could see that they were in sad shape.

The springs on the idle pullies are working. Ordered new belts and replaced the lower and upper belts. With the new belts, the brake does not stop the mower, the clutch does not want to release the drive. Only way to stop the mower with the new belts is to turn it off. Increased the friction on the brake by tightening the bolt. For it to stop the brake had to be so tight the mower could not be manually pushed. To me it looks like the old belts are slightly stretched compared to the new belts. There is a lot more tension on the new belts than the old belts.

Went back to the old belts and reset the brake friction and works ok, except up the steep hill.

A few questions.
I have used 303 on belts on my Jeep and it has worked great to stop chips and extend life. Would 303 negatively impact using my old belts?
Any thoughts on next steps?

Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you replace the belts with OEM belts or generic off the shelf belts. Can make a difference in operation. Possible if the rod from the clutch/brake pedal to the variable pulley has been adjusted in the past in may need readjusted to allow the front engine to variable pulley to slack.

paulvon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you replace the belts with OEM belts or generic off the shelf belts. Can make a difference in operation. Possible if the rod from the clutch/brake pedal to the variable pulley has been adjusted in the past in may need readjusted to allow the front engine to variable pulley to slack.
The belts were not OEM, but were to match the OEM.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
@paulvon That is fine just as long as there were not a 5/8 by whatever just not quite fit belt.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
did you check them for width depth & length ?
A small difference in length or width will make a big difference on a variable sheave system
Worn out belts will be thinner Sloped side to sloped side than a new one.
Did you order the belts by make & model number or measure the old belt ?
What was the brand name & part number of the belt you used ?
Dose the sliding sheave move freely up & down on the double pulley ?

Gord Baker

Threads
Whatever 303 is don't put anything on the belt. You may have matched a Thinner (Width) belt for the new one which rides higher (Tighter) in the Pulleys. Find the original part number and dimensions and go from there with the Kevlar Pricy belt.