MTD 24" snowblower with Tecumseh 5ph - Started a couple of days ago, nothing today

lakedawgs

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / MTD 24" snowblower with Tecumseh 5ph - Started a couple of days ago, nothing today
Hi,
Pulled my 24" MTD with a 5ph Tecumseh out of the shed a couple of days ago. Checked the oil, hit the spark plug lightly with sand paper and filled it with gas and fired it up. started on the first pull every time, every year. Ran if for 30-40 seconds and put it in the garage ready for snow. Yesterday I tried to start it and nothing. Pulled the spark plug I am getting spark and can smell fuel. Tried again in the evening and again this morning. Still getting spark and still smell fuel. This morning I did not prime the carb thinking it might be flooding, still nothing.

Any ideas are appreciated, I got a foot of snow on a corner lot I do not want to hand shovel!
Thanks
Lakedawgs

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
  • / MTD 24" snowblower with Tecumseh 5ph - Started a couple of days ago, nothing today
Check your engine oil. be sure it doesn't smell like gasoline or isn't thinned out.

lakedawgs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Oil does not look thinned out but I do get a light gas smell.
How bad is that?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
if you're smelling gas in your oil, your carburetor float isn't shutting fuel off into the bowl. And flooding your engine preventing it from starting. Take the spark plug out and pull the rope a few times, see if any gas comes out of the plug hole. I'd also change your engine oil. and install a fuel shutoff valve or rebuild the carburetor

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have spark and fuel the only thing your missing is compression. I would check these three things in this order.
1. Do you have fresh fuel, not leftovers from cutting the lawn last fall.
2. Remove the plug and ground the plug wire. While you are pushing your thumb down over the spark plug hole have someone pull the starter rope hard. If you have compression your thumb should be blown off the hole.
3. If the first two check good I would them check to see if the flywheel key is sheared or partially sheared. You may be getting spark, but not at the proper time. You will need to remove the flywheel to do this.

if you post back include all engine numbers.

lakedawgs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Went to the garage and started pumping the primer bulb and followed the line. I could see fuel coming out on each pump from what appears to be the float bowl seal and also from the choke housing. The fuel smell was not from the piston housing under the spark plug it was fuel spilling out under the snow blower. Guess I just need a simple rebuild kit.
THANKS

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don’t buy a rebuild kit until you do the things I posted. Over priming the unit will spill fuel all over the floor, which tells me your primer is working properly.

rustycat

Threads
Hi,
Pulled my 24" MTD with a 5ph Tecumseh out of the shed a couple of days ago. Checked the oil, hit the spark plug lightly with sand paper and filled it with gas and fired it up. started on the first pull every time, every year. Ran if for 30-40 seconds and put it in the garage ready for snow. Yesterday I tried to start it and nothing. Pulled the spark plug I am getting spark and can smell fuel. Tried again in the evening and again this morning. Still getting spark and still smell fuel. This morning I did not prime the carb thinking it might be flooding, still nothing.

Any ideas are appreciated, I got a foot of snow on a corner lot I do not want to hand shovel!
Thanks
Lakedawgs

Hi,

Thanks
Lakedawgs
How old is the gas, when did you buy it. The gas we have now goes dead in three months. Drain it out and put in FRESH gas that you just purchased.

JPMcSR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Change the plug! Not supposed to sand a spark plug. Use a wire brush!

Tommy Mckeown

Threads
Smelling fuel is not the same as fuel entering into the cylinder. Get a can of starting fluid and spray some in the carb. At least know if it's a fuel or spark problem before tearing into the carb. Since you felt it necessary to clean the plug the first time why not get a new one to keep around.