MTD 1043 - odd things afoot

jpadie

Threads
Hi

I have one of the above. not sure what they are called in English. Souped up strimmer with a blade?

Anyway, I've just started using after the previous season and although the motor is starting and revving up ok it feels _slightly_ under powered and more to the point although the blade is spinning up it is being stopped by the smallest of weeds; whereas in previous seasons it would more or less tear down a tree.

I've replaced the carb (the old one had worn out internal gaskets (the one with the metal disc) and it was cheaper to get a whole carb than a rebuild kit, There is no spark arrestor on this model, but there is a lot of carbonisation and sludgy tar around the exhaust (as in previous years). The blade has been sharpened (it's one of the three teeth variant).

Yesterday it _mostly_ worked ok. there were moments of problem bust I got a good couple of hours after it (although I need to refill the fuel frequently - it feels like it's consuming 750mL every half hour, no idea whether that is normal.

Is this a clutch issue?

thanks in advance, Justin

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please look under the seat for a model number.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
This look like it?
lawnflite-mtd-1043-petrol-trimmer-straight-shaft-bike-handle-43cc-mtd-2-stroke-engine.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are correct, I was thinking 1042 tractor.

jpadie

Threads
It is indeed that one yes.

I've stripped the head yesterday evening and that looks fine. The splines still look good and there are no loose or tight spots in the rotation.

I guess that leaves adjustment of the carb (the throttle does not completely open) or checking the clutch.