MS250 Chainsaw won’t start

Texasbill

Forum Newbie
Threads
My chainsaw started reliably as usual the other day. Cut wood for a few hours and then the chainsaw sputtered and died like t ran out of gas. It was the end of the day, so I filled the gas and oil and called it a day. The next day the chainsaw would not start.....not even catching for a second. I checked the spark using a circuit checker....no problem. The compression based on pulling the starter rope felt fine. I emptied the gas tank and discovered a piece of the gas line and the fuel filter loose In the tank. I bought a new fuel filter, fuel line, and air filter. I installed all those successfully and changed the spark plug for good measures.

I still can’t start this thing and it’s driving me crazy! I’ve tried dumping some fuel in the spark plug opening but it wont even attempt to start. There Is next primer bulb on this saw.

Any ideas?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Do an actual compression test. Must be at least 100 psi to even hit or that what it takes here on my gauge.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If ithas been running without a tank filter then the internal filter on the carb will be clogged.
When tossing fuel down the plug on a 2 stroke it is SOOOO easy to flood them and once the plug gets wet it is all over red rover.
So start with a fresh plug and a can of carb cleaner to use as starting fluid ( less harsh on petrol engines )
A TINY spray down the plug hole should give you a couple of pops if the engine is going to run
E-replacement parts have a nice video on testing a chain saw
Watch it and note how little they spray into the engine.
And yes you can flood a chain saw with a spray can just as easy as pouring in fuel from a spoon.

The carb will require a clean and depend upon your confidence either replacement or rebuilding.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
My chainsaw started reliably as usual the other day. Cut wood for a few hours and then the chainsaw sputtered and died like t ran out of gas. It was the end of the day, so I filled the gas and oil and called it a day. The next day the chainsaw would not start.....not even catching for a second. I checked the spark using a circuit checker....no problem. The compression based on pulling the starter rope felt fine. I emptied the gas tank and discovered a piece of the gas line and the fuel filter loose In the tank. I bought a new fuel filter, fuel line, and air filter. I installed all those successfully and changed the spark plug for good measures.

I still can’t start this thing and it’s driving me crazy! I’ve tried dumping some fuel in the spark plug opening but it wont even attempt to start. There Is next primer bulb on this saw.

Any ideas?

Did you ever get it going?

Jkazak

Forum Newbie
Threads

Any ideas?
MS 250 saws are famous for flooding, especially ones with no primer bulb. Mine nearly drove me nuts until I stumbled on the "right procedure". (1) engage blade lock (2) put choke on full choke position (3) pull starter cord ONE TIME ONLY!!! (4) put choke in partially open position (5) pull starter cord 3 times maximum (6) put choke on run position (7) fully depress throttle trigger and hold (8) pull starter cord until saw runs, usually 3 or 4 pulls max. If I make more than one pull on full choke my saw will flood badly. YMMV.