MS 250 bar oil consumption

Teeton

Threads
Hi all, got a ms250 saw. With all my other saws over the years, I pretty much would go through a tank of gas to about a tank of bar oil. With this new saw I go through a tank of gas and only about a half tank of bar oil. So my question is, is this enough oil per tank of gas?? Thanks

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Things on stihl saw that can cause low oiling.
Plugged oil pickup filter
Cracked oil hose
Bad oil pump
Stripped worm gear
Tip broken off worm gear arm that connects to clutch drum
Bad tank vent

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Those saws have always been a bit stingy on oil.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You do not need a lot of bar oil and too much causes a whole series of problems itself.
have a close look at your bar in the cutting zone
If you see blueing on the bar and you have not been doing those last few cuts with a blunt blade because you are too lazy the change it for a sharp one or sharpen it on saw( takes all of 3 minutes ) then that is the sign there is not enough oil.
Most of my Stihls go 2 tanks of fuel to one tank of oil .
Husqvarnas on average run faster than Stihls & Echos so they use more oil.
If you can get a line of oil thrown off the nose in under a minute then it is oiling enough

Teeton

Threads
Thanks for the replys!!! Nothing looks clogged. And it's been like this since I got it about a year and a half ago. . I've been running summer blend bar oil from tractor supply. Bar looks ok.. I'm going to check tonight if the pickup is not stuck and if floating around. Also going to try motor oil SAE 30 wt and maybe SAE 10-30 just to see what it does.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
For oiling of the bar take the saw and hold the bar tip up near a box or sheet of plywood. With the saw running at full throttle the chain should be throwing oil off the tip. If it does then the saw is oiling properly.

Just many older saws oiled differently as they ran the oil pump constantly where as the MS250 only oils the BNC when the clutch is moving the chain thus not wasting oil.

oneoldsap

Threads
Hold your saw with the tip of the bar close to a hard surface , and open it up full throttle . If you see a strip of oil on that surface , you are good to go . Back in the day , the oilers were adjustable !

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
All of the stihl pro saws have adjustable oil pumps and some of the bigger homeowner grade are adjustable. Nearly all the box store and small stihl and huskys saws are non adjustable.

Teeton

Threads
it does throw oil off the bar, but not like my older saws did. Just really want to make sure the bar is not running lean on oil. Not really happy with the saws power wises also. I had a 30 year old O23 that I think cut faster than this saw. I sold a very lightly used 029 for $275 and my 023 for $90 and bought the ms250 for I think $290 new. I was thinking get rid of the old and heavy not used saw. Get this new saw and probably never have to by a saw again. again Thanks for the replys..