Mowers exposed to the weather?

Elkins45

Threads
Every time I drive past a hardware or power equipment store I see rows of riding mowers sitting out in the elements. I know the engines are relatively protected from water but what about the electronic components? I’m specifically thinking about ignition switches and electric blade clutches. I can’t help but think all that water pouring into the key switches can’t be good for them. Right?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is not a problem
Water accumulating in the wiring plugs & sockets is a problem as the terminals corrode .

Lawn Addict
Threads
I prefer mine kept dry....

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most ignition switches are designed to be water tight. But then water get in at time as it does get in those weather resistance connectors. If the connector can unplugged it is not 100% water tight, can be very close. Toro uses them on their Timecutter mowers with electric brake modules. I replaced two modules due to water getting into the connection point and corroding off the pins.

But still keeping the mowers out the wet weather is best as Brass, tin, and zinc plating can only go so far. Lately I have been installing Zinc-Aluminum coated screws in the high moisture areas as replacements are needed.