Mower won`t stay running

Philipshari

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. I own a Honda HRX217 HMA mower I purchased in 2004. The mower has about 7 years active life used and went thru a long period of inactivity due to outsourcing mowing responsibilities I recently sent it to a repair shop to prepare using it. The carburetor, spark plug and air filter were replaced and the gas tank was cleaned.. The mower would not stay running The gas source is the same as with my Zero turn which runs fine. I sent it back to the repair shop and replaced the ignition system coil. The mower runs for 10 minutes then the engine starts to miss and then shuts down as if it ran out if gas. It will not restart until about 15 minutes go by and then the cycle repeats itself.. After replacing the carb, spark plug, air filter and then the ignition coil, whats left? I've had to the repair shop 3 times now with an outlay of 140 bucks. This was an expensive mower (battery starter)and I'd like to keep it but is it worth it? What else is left to investigate?
Thanks for your input!

lefty2cox

Threads
Could be a clogged gas cap vent. Building up vacuum while running and then starving for fuel. Once it sits and the vacuum subsides, it will start again, rinse and repeat.

Try running with the gas cap a bit loose. Use a little tape to keep the cap from vibrating all the way off. See if it will fix the problem.

But there are many wiser than me on here so please chime in if I'm off base.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Spend $ 15 on a red in line spark tester.
Hook it up to the mower then go mow ( won't hurt the mower )
When the mower starts to die , watch the tester .
If it continues to flash till the mower stops then the coil is fine & you have a fuel problem
If it stops flashing well before the engine stops turning then you have an electrical problem.
Your Hondas are different to ours and seem to have a way too many idiot proof features.
One of which is probably shorting out the coil