Mower tucked away in the shed

Roll

Threads
Done with this for now. Will check in on it and start it occasionally through the winter months. Merry Christmas and Happy New year to my new friends.In the shed for the winter reduced size no 5.jpgIn the shed for the winter reduced size no 6.jpg

TonyPrin

Threads
Most owners winterize their mowers and leave them for the season. Depending on your climate, your mower may have oil that works well in warm (mower season) weather but not when the temp. approaches zero. Beyond that, your mower's battery should be removed and stored in a reasonably warm location and on a trickle charger.

Roll

Threads
10-30 on the syn oil. Has the viscosity of a 10 weight in cold weather. Weather in central Ohio gets cold but rarely down to sub zero's and its usually only for a couple of days at most. Not nearly as bad as Cleveland where we were from (40 years ago). Still your point about a warm place to store the battery is taken and I could easily take it out and store it in the basement. I use a new float charger that could also run the basement. Still, I haven't taken a battery out of a vehicle for winter. Not in the last mower, the current Kabota tractor, or the electric golf cart for that matter and it hasn't caused me any problems so far. Always open to other's experiences.

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you just fire it up for only 5 minutes every so often. You are actually creating condensation in the crankcase, since the engine won't be run enough to full heat to burn out the condensation. I'd suggest either let it sit, (I do) or run it for at least 20 minutes at a time..

Nice looking rig.. Did you wax the deck at least ? I do, helps it stay cleaner easier during mow season.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
looks snug as a bug in a rug.

Roll

Threads
If you just fire it up for only 5 minutes every so often. You are actually creating condensation in the crankcase, since the engine won't be run enough to full heat to burn out the condensation. I'd suggest either let it sit, (I do) or run it for at least 20 minutes at a time..

Nice looking rig.. Did you wax the deck at least ? I do, helps it stay cleaner easier during mow season.

Merry Christmas.
Agree completely. Must run long enough to dry out. Another reason not to start it is that the most wear occurs after it sits for an extended period and then is started. The moment(s) before oil pressure builds is/are when the most wear happens. Better it sits and only be started once that way after winter and at the beginning of the mowing season. So I am advised and actually, it's logical.

Going to have to get my Johnsons and Johnsons wax out and go to work on the deck in the spring. ;-) Thanks!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Exactly... J&J wax, haven't heard that name in a very long time.. Cool.

I used to use Rain Dance, I could wipe it down, let it on all winter long & easily wipe off in spring.. They quit making it tho. I bought up all I could find, & am on the last can almost empty....

PS: I leave my battery in, but am parked in the garage & have thermometers in there. Haven't seen it below 50* in real cold.

I put mine on wheel dollys so I can pull it out when I get the urge to do stuff to it..