Mower Stalling After Refuel

mtothero

Threads
Have an Exmark Metro 36” with a Kawasaki FB460V engine.

Ran out of gas while mowing. Refueled. Mower ran for about 5-10 minutes and then starting sputtering.

I quit for the day and decided to continue another time.

I did have to replace the fuel filter once before, so I thought this might be a good time to replace it again.

At first, the mower wouldn’t start at all. I eventually got it to start, but it would only run for about 15-20 seconds before it would start sputtering again and then die.

I’m guessing that running out of gas sucked sediment into the carburetor (despite the fuel filter) and that a carburetor cleaning is required.

I’m also wondering about the possibility of contaminated fuel; as I’ve since learned that the station where I purchased the fuel had been cited at least twice by the State for selling adulterated fuel.

I’m going to drain the fuel and replace it with fuel from a different station. If that doesn’t work, then I guess I will move on to the carburetor.

Just wondering if I am on the right track or if there are other things I should also be checking.

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes you are on the right track
Remove the float bowl with a catch can underneath and see what was in the carb when it was playing up .

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Or you had debris in the tank and sucked it into the tank outlet/fuel line

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could be water in the fuel. pull the fuel line off just past the fuel filter and see if you have water in it. We have a siphon system some genius figured out years ago to change the oil and siphon water and bad gas out of fuel tanks. If it is water get all of it out you can and treat the fuel with sea foam put in a new fuel filter hook it up to the carb side first and and spray sea foam deep creep into the filter and hook up to the supply line from the fuel tank. Do this and you will not have to take the crab off a to clean the water out. Sea Foam is great stuff for drawing water out of the fuel system.