Mower height way too low - LTX1042

KvG

Forum Newbie
Threads
Total newbie here with likely a newbie question. Thanks for having me.

I have a 2010 LTX1042 that I don't know much more about than how to cut my grass with it. The mower came with the house, so this is my 4th season cutting with it. It has ALWAYS cut too low.

The highest setting gives me about a 3-3 1/4" cut, and the lowest setting bottoms out on the "outrigger" wheel before you even get there...it actually won't even go to the lowest settings.

When I look under the mower, it looks like the deck is as high as it will go, as there is a steel extension attached to the top of the deck that restricts it from going any higher.

What could be causing this low cutting height? Could it be a suspension issue possibly?

I'm happy to provide pics if that will help, but wanted to get this posted as it is driving me nuts! Thanks in advance!

Born2Mow

Threads
That's about it.

The mower is made by MTD who also supply Craftsman, TroyBilt, Cub Cadet and several others, and they ALL lack adjustment. If you'll watch the "deck adjustment" videos on YouTube they'll tell you as much. There is one video where the user bends the adjustment lever and gets a small fraction more, but that's about it.

The best you can hope for is to get a deck with at least 4 rollers so that you don't scalp everything in your yard.

KvG

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's about it.

The mower is made by MTD who also supply Craftsman, TroyBilt, Cub Cadet and several others, and they ALL lack adjustment. If you'll watch the "deck adjustment" videos on YouTube they'll tell you as much. There is one video where the user bends the adjustment lever and gets a small fraction more, but that's about it.

The best you can hope for is to get a deck with at least 4 rollers so that you don't scalp everything in your yard.
Ugh...I was afraid of that. Makes absolutely no sense. Thanks.

semimechanicman

Threads
Total newbie here with likely a newbie question. Thanks for having me.

I have a 2010 LTX1042 that I don't know much more about than how to cut my grass with it. The mower came with the house, so this is my 4th season cutting with it. It has ALWAYS cut too low.

The highest setting gives me about a 3-3 1/4" cut, and the lowest setting bottoms out on the "outrigger" wheel before you even get there...it actually won't even go to the lowest settings.

When I look under the mower, it looks like the deck is as high as it will go, as there is a steel extension attached to the top of the deck that restricts it from going any higher.

What could be causing this low cutting height? Could it be a suspension issue possibly?

I'm happy to provide pics if that will help, but wanted to get this posted as it is driving me nuts! Thanks in advance!
Ok first of all, go to the mower and lift up the mower deck with your hands, if there is play and it goes up a little that means that you can adjust it to go higher. If it doesnt go any higher then you cant.

Reactions: KvG