Mower drifts to the left

jcworks

Threads
2013 Toro MX5060. 270 hours. Drive belt was replaced at the shop 2 months ago. The mower drifts to the left when mowing full speed. I can mow with it easy enough. Its just that I have to pull back the right bar slightly to mow straight. Also, I notice that when sitting still if I move the left control bar and then let go of it it goes back to neutral position. The right control bar does not; it stays about where I turned loose of it. It seems the left side has what I'd call the spongy feel -- like a hydraulic pressure feel-- which is what I'd think it should have. The right control bar doesn't have that feel. It just moves back and forth with my hand movements and the mower responds; but there is no little resistance there. I'm not a lawnmower repair man --l don't know if I'm describing this properly. Again, I can mow with it but one side just feels different than the other. Trans oil has never been changed, which I asked two different Toro dealers about that, they both said forget about doing that till 500 hours.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And no matter what you do they never drive dead strait
The early ZTR's has double spring loaded controls so you could adjust R & F positions individually but it got dropped
While they might pass the drive strait lest on bitumen or concrete once you are on grass , particular rough or sloping grass all that goes out the window due to slip & side slip

jcworks

Threads
Well there is a slope in my yard. All yards within 2 miles are this way.
But what about the part of the right control arm not returning to neutral when you release it?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is in the adjustment proceedure in the manual that Rivets was good enough to provide a link to in reply # 2

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
You might check the dampeners if it has them most mowers do.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also uneven tire pressures can affect tracking too.

jcworks

Threads
That is in the adjustment proceedure in the manual that Rivets was good enough to provide a link to in reply # 2
Yes, I have that manual now. At least I've got it bookmarked, I can't yet figure out how to save it to my computer.

jcworks

Threads
Also uneven tire pressures can affect tracking too.
Yes, it does. That was the first thing I did. There was less than half the pressure in the left back tire as the right back had. I took care of that and it solved most of the drift. There's still a little bit.

jcworks

Threads
Here is the service manual for your unit. Section 5 tells how to adjust the drives. https://www.toro.com/getpub/789
Rivets, thank you for that. This manual seems to have a lot more info than the manual that came with my mower. These adjustments are not even mentioned, I guess they want the dealer to do that.