Mower dies when moved out of park.

Kristi_jason

Forum Newbie
Threads
I mowed my entire yard yesterday no problem at all with mower. Got off mower edged did the weedeating thing and then went to move my mower back into the garage started just fine idles greats but when try to go forward or backward it dies. Sitting idle just fine go to engage blades it dies. I have replace fuel filter and air filter. Belts look good. Not sure what the issue may be. It does move a couple inches before it dies and quits running. Any ideas?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Three safety circuits
1) Lap bars + brake + magneto so you can not rip the brake apart
2) PTO switch + seat + magneto so you can not get off with the blade running and shove your hands under the deck
3) Brake + seat switch so you can get off with the engine running but it stops if you fall off .

Yours is failing under conditions 2 & 3 and the common switch is the seat switch .

You will need to check the wiring diagram because there are a couple of relays tossed in to confuse DIY

Kristi-jason

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the response. You were correct seat switch was bad. Replaces mower runs perfect.

Donamite

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Hustler is doing the same thing when I pull either handle in. Engine will kill if I only pull the left or the right. Does anyone know what these 2 kill switches are connected to. Seems like may have a bad connection at that point and it may kill if i hit a bump.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They are connected to the magneto via the parking brake switch
This is done to prevent you driving away with the brake on which destroys the brake

1slow5point0h

Threads
I bypassed all of the switches the day I brought mine home.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I bypassed all of the switches the day I brought mine home.
Just like any other fool...These safeties are there for a reason. Why don't you bypass all the safeties on your passenger vehicle too. We need less fools out there anyways.

Now that you bypass all the safeties the insurance companies will find this when you file a claim for the mower running in to your partner's new vehicle because you got knock off your mower like a guy here did here when another shop installed the wrong safety switch. The insurance went after the one that did the work that disabled the safety system. $$$ were collected from that shop.

1slow5point0h

Threads
Just like any other fool...These safeties are there for a reason. Why don't you bypass all the safeties on your passenger vehicle too. We need less fools out there anyways.

Now that you bypass all the safeties the insurance companies will find this when you file a claim for the mower running in to your partner's new vehicle because you got knock off your mower like a guy here did here when another shop installed the wrong safety switch. The insurance went after the one that did the work that disabled the safety system. $$$ were collected from that shop.
You’re free to do as you wish, fool. I do happen to have a seatbelt buckle that I click in when I don’t want to wear it 🤔 .I’m pretty sure if I needed them, I’d have left them in place. Luckily my "partner" and I don’t have to worry about me getting knocked off the mower. But maybe I should go get triple vax’d to be safe...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My honest opinion is most of the safety devices should be disabled
If we daily saw people walking around missing a few fingers or toes then we might treat dangerous equipment like ride on mowers with the respect they deserve in place of treating them like a toy to amuse the grandkids with.
However the seat switch is the one thing that protects others should the operator suddenly fall off or get off to do something & the mower run away because they forgot to set the brake .
It can & does happen
My fit healthy customers enlisted 25 year old son was not expecting to have a heart attack while mowing dads lawn
But he did & the mower ran down the yard taking the dog out and crushing a todlers leg before it end up in the swimming pool.
So now his nephew walks with a horrid limp , but for a few inches the child could have ended up dog food as well .
Dad got prosecuted and the resultant family disputes ended up with a divorce plus a big family feud .
I still service all of their mowers but now all of the safetys are left intact after I have done a service.
And I always add a line "Rectified faulty safety switch" or similar as a line item on every invoice .in the labour section.
That was some thing the previous owner advised me to do as he had been in a similar situation.
Initially the insurance company came after me as did consumer affairs but they interviewed enough of my customers to exhonerate me as every mower leaves here with all of the safety switches working , I don't care if the customers kill them selves, I just do not want to be sued .

SamB

Threads
You’re free to do as you wish, fool. I do happen to have a seatbelt buckle that I click in when I don’t want to wear it 🤔 .I’m pretty sure if I needed them, I’d have left them in place. Luckily my "partner" and I don’t have to worry about me getting knocked off the mower. But maybe I should go get triple vax’d to be safe...

My honest opinion is most of the safety devices should be disabled
If we daily saw people walking around missing a few fingers or toes then we might treat dangerous equipment like ride on mowers with the respect they deserve in place of treating them like a toy to amuse the grandkids with.
However the seat switch is the one thing that protects others should the operator suddenly fall off or get off to do something & the mower run away because they forgot to set the brake .
It can & does happen
My fit healthy customers enlisted 25 year old son was not expecting to have a heart attack while mowing dads lawn
But he did & the mower ran down the yard taking the dog out and crushing a todlers leg before it end up in the swimming pool.
So now his nephew walks with a horrid limp , but for a few inches the child could have ended up dog food as well .
Dad got prosecuted and the resultant family disputes ended up with a divorce plus a big family feud .
I still service all of their mowers but now all of the safetys are left intact after I have done a service.
And I always add a line "Rectified faulty safety switch" or similar as a line item on every invoice .in the labour section.
That was some thing the previous owner advised me to do as he had been in a similar situation.
Initially the insurance company came after me as did consumer affairs but they interviewed enough of my customers to exhonerate me as every mower leaves here with all of the safety switches working , I don't care if the customers kill them selves, I just do not want to be sued .
Personally, I like my safety switches. I seldom drive off with the brake on,but sometimes do. Those (expensive) little toothed brake locks on HydroGears will not take any abuse and still function. The 'unoccupied seat kill switch' didn't work when I acquired the ztr,but it does now, as does the blade clutch energizer wires that go through all these circuits. Selling a used mower with any of the safeties altered in any way is a legal no-no, and can be expensive when the lawyers get involved.