Mower Deck is too low in the rear.

Johnny Storm

Forum Newbie
Threads
My deck is a manual model SL52. The rear of the deck is way too low, the little clearance rollers are on the ground. The rear of the deck and the clearance wheels tear the soil when you turn. I did not have any luck with the search facility here. Raising the deck doesn't help. Tipping the deck up doesn't help. I'd take it in but it's 8 weeks out right now and I need the mower sooner. I'm going to have to take a shot at fixing it, any direction gratefully received.

gsim

Threads
I don''t have any experience in deck leveling on my Hopper. I bought mine used, and I ordered factory operators manual for both my mower and for it's power tilt deck. I'd advise you to call nearest dealer and get the operator's manual for your mower, and for deck if it has separate operator manual. And you can call (620) 345-8021 which is the factory to talk to a tech rep. 1st thing they will ask you is where your nearest dealers are, and who they are. So try to run this problem thru your nearest dealer first. I do know that on my powerfold 72" deck, there is a procedure in the mowing deck manual that talks about that. Likely different for your mower. Be sure to write down the deck model number stamped on the tag so as to have it handy when you call dealer or factory. Best to have mower tag model # too.

mistermowerman

Threads
My deck is a manual model SL52. The rear of the deck is way too low, the little clearance rollers are on the ground. The rear of the deck and the clearance wheels tear the soil when you turn. I did not have any luck with the search facility here. Raising the deck doesn't help. Tipping the deck up doesn't help. I'd take it in but it's 8 weeks out right now and I need the mower sooner. I'm going to have to take a shot at fixing it, any direction gratefully received.
I would always recommend checking your tyre pressures.

Johnny Storm

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don''t have any experience in deck leveling on my Hopper. I bought mine used, and I ordered factory operators manual for both my mower and for it's power tilt deck. I'd advise you to call nearest dealer and get the operator's manual for your mower, and for deck if it has separate operator manual. And you can call (620) 345-8021 which is the factory to talk to a tech rep. 1st thing they will ask you is where your nearest dealers are, and who they are. So try to run this problem thru your nearest dealer first. I do know that on my powerfold 72" deck, there is a procedure in the mowing deck manual that talks about that. Likely different for your mower. Be sure to write down the deck model number stamped on the tag so as to have it handy when you call dealer or factory. Best to have mower tag model # too.
Thank you for your time. I've contacted both dealers nearby, they are busy for the next 8 weeks. I'll contact grasshopper and try speaking with a tech.
John

Johnny Storm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your time. I've contacted both dealers nearby, they are busy for the next 8 weeks. I'll contact grasshopper and try speaking with a tech.
John
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I've checked the tire pressure, it's in good shape.
John

Johnny Storm

Forum Newbie
Threads
John
I do have both manuals, BTW, it's just not titled the way I expected.
John

gsim

Threads
I think the horizontal springs inside the horizontal tubes on both sides of top of deck are what adjusts mine. But mine is a long chassis, front-mount deck. Lots more of the compact mowers out there than the front mount long chassis types. But if yours is a long chassis front mount deck, give those two springs a look. If yours is the more common short chassis, I have no clue. I've never owned even one of the short chassis mowers. My only experience is with my old Toro long chassis and my Hopper long chassis. Wish I could help more. I think that since both dealers told you they were booked solid for 2 months for repairs, you have a good chance of getting a tech guy at factory to help you. Good luck.

gsim

Threads
You may be able to go to Hopper web site and access PDF of operators's manual. Worth a look.

Johnny Storm

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think the horizontal springs inside the horizontal tubes on both sides of top of deck are what adjusts mine. But mine is a long chassis, front-mount deck. Lots more of the compact mowers out there than the front mount long chassis types. But if yours is a long chassis front mount deck, give those two springs a look. If yours is the more common short chassis, I have no clue. I've never owned even one of the short chassis mowers. My only experience is with my old Toro long chassis and my Hopper long chassis. Wish I could help more. I think that since both dealers told you they were booked solid for 2 months for repairs, you have a good chance of getting a tech guy at factory to help you. Good luck.
Thanks again, if I get an answer I'll report back for the next guy.
John

thehemikid

Threads
I"m a bit late to the party, but I'll reply anyway, and you may've already found your answer. You might look where the deck attaches to the tractor and just maybe yours may be in the bottom hole. Just a possibility.

Attachments

• 7-15-20 pic of deck pivot attachment.jpg
    7-15-20 pic of deck pivot attachment.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 10