Mounting HF Predator Engine

paqman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all, new here, hoping someone can help. I have an old tiller with a Briggs & Stratton 3.5hp engine on it and that thing is kaput. The gas tank and carburetor are rusted to bits and full of junk, and I'm pretty sure missing some springs and not sure I could get the thing back together if I had all the parts. Anyway, I decided to scrap the engine and am thinking about mounting a Harbor Freight Predator engine on it. Problem is, the 79cc 3HP engine would be the perfect replacement horse power wise, but the mounting holes are too close together, and the shaft is too small so I'd have to get a different pulley. The 212cc 6.5 hp engine looks like it would fit like a glove. Mounting holes and shaft look to be the same as the current engine. And the 212cc engine goes on sale for the same price as the 79cc engine all the time. So I'm tempted just to get the 212. But what would more than doubling the power do to it? I'm no machinist, so I couldn't really make a mounting plate for the 79cc engine. Just curious what drawbacks there would be to throwing on the 212cc engine. Any thoughts?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can't go wrong with more power! Those are pretty good engines too. I'd go with it. Only problem might be if you'd hit a tree root and kill the whole machine maybe.