moss removal

zetor3011

Threads
Hi does anyone know how to get rid of moss without spending much money?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
zetor, Out here moss is a major player. You have not told us where you have the problem. Household bleach and water (cup or less to gallon) and a bristle brush will remove and kill it on concrete and wood. The store bought stuff is expensive and I have not found it any better. On roofs some swear by powdered Tide (w/bleach). The problem is the delivery system. I jury rigged a long handle to an empty gal milk bottle with holes. On a ladder is was possible to roll the bottle around to spread the powder. My roofs are very steep and I would not try to walk along the ridge. After the powder is spread rain will distribute the powder and the moss will die. After summer dry out the dead "moss mice" will roll into your gutters. This is not thought to be environmentally friendly. Sun will kill moss. The north facing roofs are the real problem.

If you mean grass vs moss. It gets expensive fast. Pros spray some kind of "mojo" juice. I have not had it done, but my neighbors do. Their grass is near perfect and mine is not.
The main problem is acidic soil which promotes moss and low spots. The Ph can be tested by a landscape co. Lots of "sweetening" is done here by spreading tons of soil amendment to change the Ph. Proper Ph allows the grass to squeeze out the moss. It gets real expensive.

possum

Threads
Take a regular garden rake and rake out all the grass real good. Then go at it again with a small tined leaf rake at different directions until its all out. Haul it away. Now, fertilize and water the grass letting it grow as tall as possible the rest of the spring and summer. This fall, do the same thing but overseed the whole area. Plan on overseeding every fall. Raking out moss twice a year. Or just get used to the nice green moss.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Taking a power rake is a good way to rip it up. Follow up with some moss out moss killer. Follow the directions on the bag. After that promote healthy turf long and healthy turf will stop moss.

Might take a couple years. For roofs sweep it off yearly or bleach it. Then find what's causing the moss usually moisture plus shade. So trees and such thin the branches to let more sunlight ...

christiesternerz

Forum Newbie
Threads
The easiest and efficient way of getting rid of moss is with plain old baking soda. This method is great for tackling smaller patches of moss and since it’s completely natural, it won’t hurt the environment or your garden plants. Before getting started, wear a pair of gloves when making the baking soda and water mixture to kill moss naturally.