More woes. Oil shooting from dip tube and bottom o ring

Threads
  • / More woes. Oil shooting from dip tube and bottom o ring
Kohler Command 15 s.

Oil shoots out with engine running if I remove the cap. With the cap closed it seaps from the bottom where the o ring is. I've replaced the oring,doubled up on the o ring, and tried another tube with another o ring. Still leaks. Replaced head gasket already. Not sure what else needs to be done. Gets to the point where the engine taps,more tapping under load. As to not damage it more I won't run it.

Thoughts?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Most likely that's the hydraulic lifters ticking. Run 10W30 kohler oil and it should go away, Had 2 Command 15s that were ticking, changed oil over to Kohler 10-30, within about 20 minutes of running they quieted down..
Could be a problem with the crankcase breather/vent causing the oil to purge past the O ring, oil spraying out the tube when the cap off is common in older engines due to ring wear and blowby. Or at least that's what's I've always heard caused it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
There also has been intermittent issues with the lifters wearing a groove on the cam lobe contact surface due to the lifter failing to rotate. Will cause a tapping noise when the lifter is in the groove. And it is not uncommon for oil to spray out of the filler tube when the dipstick is removed with the engine running you creating an opening on the outlet side of a big plunger when the piston comes down the bore.