Modified muffler for 026

Psychosmo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello stihl owners, i recently was given an old 026 from my grandfather that needs a new cylinder and what not. I'm going to rebuild it back to new but I also want to modify the stock muffler or buy an aftermarket like a bark box. Any suggestions are more than welcome, Thanks for reading my thread.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most times they will run substantially worse with any muffler other than the factory one
Two stroke tuning is a black art & the mufflers have a massive effect on the engine.
A resonant exhaust on some motorcycles will double the power output while a slightly off one will quadruple the fuel consumption for no power increase.
And all or them make the engine very peaky with a very short power band, exactly what you do not want in a chain saw

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
if you are going to use a muffler system that extracts the exhaust, it has to be tuned for the volume and resonance frequencies involved. That is the black art form. It is not a bolt on solution although if all you want is bling you can probably find something. I'd think you could get the same bang for the buck just cleaning it up and hanging it on the wall with a plaque that has your grand dad's name on it.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
None of the mufflers on stihl saws are tuned. They are just a box to muffle sound and provide a small amount of back pressure. Taking the baffle out of an 026 muffler is fairly easy and enlarging the outlet is too. There are vids on utube. Might give you a small increase in top end power but without any other mods like porting you won't see much difference if any.