Model 92902-3271-01 won’t keep running

Jim131

Threads
3.5 HP. Started with Black smoke and slow or rough idle for a few months but just keep using it. Finally more black smoke then would not start. Some things I did. Replaced head gasket. Checked spark. New fuel non ethanol. New oil made for small engines. Cleaned magneto etc. Finally decided to tackle carburetor. Yea should have started there maybe. Took all screws out but would not disconnect from intake or lift up from gas tank so I sprayed cleaner in many places and put back together. It won’t start. It seems like no gas so put some down air intake and it started and ran great then died like out of fuel. Put more fuel in air again and after a few pulls ran again for 15 seconds then stopped. I’m guessing I have a fuel problem. Anyones thought on the best way to tackle this issue. Did I not go far enough pulling the carburetor off and checking the fuel pick ups into the gas tank? Thanks for any advice.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would say YES. You carb has a pump diaphragm which does go bad.

Jim131

Threads
I would say YES. You carb has a pump diaphragm which does go bad.
Thanks. So I guess I need to try and disconnect the piece from the intake tube and pull it up and away from the tank with the tube/pipe attached and look for an issue. It seemed hard to disconnect the intake.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You must remove the tank and carburetor together then separate them. Only two screws (bolts) holding the assembly on and of course the throttle linkage must be be undone as you the the tank.carb assembly. Once the two screws things just slide off the intake tube.

Jim131

Threads
Ah, I saw a video of someone doing just that. Thanks for the confirmation sir!!

Jim131

Threads
Well I took the carburetor off cleaned it and put it back together but can’t get it to run still. The gasket thing was in good shape so cleaned it and put it back. There was a part I put in wrong so took it apart and fixed it but still no luck. The second time I unscrewed the carb adjustment and sprayed inside but didn’t know exactly how I should return the screw. I finally decided to screw in all the way then backed it out two turns and tried several pulls. I kept repeating this with a half turn about 4 more times and have given up for the day. Going to have a Manhattan and ponder if I should purchase a carb repair kit. Any thoughts?

Jim131

Threads
Thanks again. I found ~ $50 for a rebuild kit online. I’m going to visit a local parts store to see if they might have anything.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Normally don’t need a rebuild kit, just a new diaphragm.

Jim131

Threads
That was my first thought too. a lot of my parts that are included in the kit AAA look fine on my machine