Modding the eGo battery powered trimmer

wo_ic3m4n

Forum Newbie
Threads
Anyone ever hear of modding a standard string trimmer to use it as an edger? I have all the battery powered tools from eGo, and I want to mod my trimmer. This could work for almost any trimmer, really, but I want to do something similar to the Worx 20V GT Revolution (I hope that's right). I have attached a picture. It has a couple wheels mounted to the top of the mower so when you flip it sideways, it works like an edger, genius! Anybody ever hear of modding in this manner?

Attachments

• _w_g_wg170.2-carousel-image-1.jpg
    _w_g_wg170.2-carousel-image-1.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 5

MowerMike

Threads
The problem with the EGO string trimmer is that you can't rotate the string head 90 degrees on the shaft, so that the trigger grip and auxiliary handle remain vertical. This makes operation as an edger very awkward. The WORX and all trimmer/edgers allow you to rotate the head 90 degrees on the shaft. Anyways, if you are really serious about edging, just buy the EGO dedicated blade edger, it works a lot better.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
A dedicated edger or edging attachment for a power head, will do a better job than a string trimmer too.

that said, even if you could rig something up, unlikely to be worth the money and hassle. MAYBE, if you found a different brand trimmer that does have the little wheel(s) on it being thrown away, you might get lucky and find an easy way to swap them over to your trimmer. Might be an OK project, if you're really bored.....

Mad_mat222

Threads
Why don’t you just hold the trimmer on it’s side??? As a commercial operator that’s all I do. It’s very neat and easy to do. For edges that have never been done before throw a blade on. It’s also surprisingly easy. The tri blades eg husqvarna, handle pretty well and if you hold them against the concrete edge leave a nice finish and won’t ding the concrete.