Mcculloch t26cs - Won't start

Mick_D

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi
Bought a second hand T26cs.. since i got it it fired up first pull... used it a few times no issues at all... used it at the weekend I had the hedge trimmer attachment connected... did about 1/2 the hedge then i needed to re fuel...mixed it up at 40:1 filled the strimmer up but since then it just will not fire up at all.. looked at spark plug this looks brand new but checked the gap etc all good but because there ir a cowling around the plug i can't check to see if I have a spark... so looks like I'm going to have to strip it down to check on the spark...
Anyone else had any issues with this machine..? any tips on troubleshooting this issue?

Also does anyone know what engine is in it... there are lots of Husqvarna stickers on it but cant see anything else...
Thanks,
Mick.

Mick_D

Forum Newbie
Threads

Mick_D

Forum Newbie
Threads
Morning,
OK got a little time last night to strip it down... it doesn't look like we have a spark... couldn't see anything on the spark plug that was in , tried a couple more and still nothing... so I'm thinking ignition module...?
Is there any way to test these to be sure this is the issue?
Or maybe the kill switch has failed? again any way to test this..?
I made a mistake when stripping it down... I pulled the handle off there is the accelerator cable and then 2 wires that go to the kill switch... I pulled these off without labelling them... does it matter which way they go back or does it have to be a certain way?

I have a spark plug / ignition coil tester coming today so hopefully this may point me in the right direction...
Thanks,
Mick.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the kill wires off the coil
If there is still no spark then the magneto is dead
No other testing unless you have a good osiliscope, signal generators and the required resistors .

Mick_D

Forum Newbie
Threads
Take the kill wires off the coil
If there is still no spark then the magneto is dead
No other testing unless you have a good osiliscope, signal generators and the required resistors .
Hi,
When you say kill wires... do you mean the 2 in the pic? I'm sure you do...
anyway removed them completely from the coil, turned it over and nothing... so looks like its that... the magnets seem strong so I doubt its that... but could the timing have moved? the flywheel looks to be OK and theres no play in it so I assume this is OK... do these engines have a key on the shaft to keep the flywheel aligned?

Think im just going to bite the bullet and buy a new ignition module see how we get on with that...

Thanks
Mick.

Attachments

• 20220515_121352.jpg
    20220515_121352.jpg
    558.1 KB · Views: 1

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep,
Thems the ones
It is a loop from the grounding bolt to the on - off switch and back to the kill tab.
Every time the magnets pass by the coil it should throw a spark, regardless of the position of the timing key
If the key is broken the spark will just happen at the wrong time.
Inside the coil is a ship that replaces to old points and the chips go bad .
Because the values of the resistor in the chip are unknown you can not test the primary windings
SO they are a works or trash item .

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
put a half teaspoon of gas in the plug hole and try again to be sure that it is a spark problem and not fuel. I've had more than one person tell me there is no spark and when I checked it was fine.

Mick_D

Forum Newbie
Threads
put a half teaspoon of gas in the plug hole and try again to be sure that it is a spark problem and not fuel. I've had more than one person tell me there is no spark and when I checked it was fine.
Thanks for your reply... yeah i tried that before I investigated the spark issue.. and there were no signs of it trying to turn over... everytime I take the plug out its covered in fuel... but never say never... think I'm going to bite the bullet and get an ignition module and see how we go.
Thanks again...

Mick.

Mick_D

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yep,
Thems the ones
It is a loop from the grounding bolt to the on - off switch and back to the kill tab.
Every time the magnets pass by the coil it should throw a spark, regardless of the position of the timing key
If the key is broken the spark will just happen at the wrong time.
Inside the coil is a ship that replaces to old points and the chips go bad .
Because the values of the resistor in the chip are unknown you can not test the primary windings
SO they are a works or trash item .
Thanks, I'll go ahead and give a new module a try...
Mick.