McCulloch MC 621 recoil string broken. Can you redo it ?

MowerTedII

Threads
  • / McCulloch MC 621 recoil string broken. Can you redo it ?
I have a McCulloch MC 621 single stage snow thrower . The rope on the recoil just broke ! I have done a couple of ropes on mowers, but can't figure out how to do this one ! IS it made to be ? It's part number 436967 for the whole assembly which I prefer not to do ! There are numbers on the coil I have I think it's HXJ181L and it says STORMFORCE on the front , don't know IF any of this matters ! Well, can you put a new rope on this style recoil ? Help ....THANKS !

Attachments

• MCcsnow3.jpg
    MCcsnow3.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 6
  • MCcsnow2.jpg
    MCcsnow2.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 6
  • MCcsnow1.jpg
    MCcsnow1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 5
  • MCcsnow.jpg
    MCcsnow.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 5

MowerTedII

Threads
Never mind .....sort of !
Most of the rope is still in the coil, it broke less than a foot from the handle. I was able to tease the rope end out . I put a pair of small vice grips on the end so not to loose it, feed it thru the plastic dash of the snow blower and attach to the plastic handle.
Put everything back and adjusted all the plastic, gave it a couple pulls and it starts !
I still would like to know how to feed a new rope into this version of coil. From what I'm seeing the McCulloch uses Husqvarna parts !
I replaced the drive belt yesterday ! We gave 18" of snow over night, what fun ! Could find a real Husqvarna part got a 35 X 1/2 from the mower car and made it fit , works well !

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
LCT is owned by the same company that owns Tecumseh. That starter looks similar to the old Tecumseh starters that you removed the label and drove out the roll pin with a punch installed a new rope after pin removal and then reassemble the starter and drive the pin back in. Husqvarna does use LCT but are considered Husqvarna engines for parts purposes. And Husqvarna owns McCulloch.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In your case you do as you did from the start and feed the remaining rope through the outer cover then pull all of the rope through .
Put a screwdriver through the spokes to stop the pulley rewinding .
Remove the old rope by pulling backwards through the pulley.
Remove the screwdriver and continue winding the pulley till the spring is fully wound up then back off till the hole in the cover & the hole in the pulley align.
Put the screwdriver back in the spokes
feed the new rope through the cover & pulley then knot it.
Remove the screwdriver and allow the rope to feed back onto the pulley .
Some like to back the pulley off 1 full revolution before feeding he rope through the hole to prevent breaking the spring.

There is no need to disassemble the starer unless the spring is broken.