Maybe upgrade time for my push mower

Lawn Addict
Threads
My 14 year old MTD /Briggs Flathead is still doing good. Friend hit a rock w/it 2 yrs ago, I got the crank as straight as I could. It runs good, but can tell it is getting tired.

So thinking about an upgrade to a NEW Hi-wheel Troy-Bilt deck with Honda 160cc engine.
This would be from Big box store.

Appreciate any input. Pros - Cons etc. TIA.

cruzenmike

Threads
Reviews on these are pretty good, but I just cannot get over the fact that these mower manufacturers are starting to piece the deck together using both metal and plastic. While a "plastic" deck like on the HRX is certainly fine, using a lower quality material that is bolted to the metal on the back or front will certainly diminish the longevity of the mower. If the durability of the machine is not a concern, the price of these is certainly good considering the engine, 3-1 capabilities and overall feature set.

My perfect mower would be the latest generation Honda HRN with side discharge capabilities. I have used the rear discharge on my HRX and did not mind, but now having a HRS, I like the side discharge option. It just leaves a cleaner cut and no clippings on the shoes.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, I have only looked online so far, but I don't think the Troy-Bilt decks are composite. TIKO.

Yes I want side discharge.

I think the Honda engine is better than the latest from Briggs (made in china). Sad to say, I have had Briggs since a young lad.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, I was hoping for a bit more feedback...............

cruzenmike

Threads
I do not have any experience with Troy-bilt equipment but I went back again and looked at the mower you are interested in. I do see that they have their own "tri-action" system which utilizes a couple of unique features to their line of mowers. There are hundreds of reviews on the XP lineup of walk behinds, so you will probably get the most feedback from homedepot.com or alike. I typically only look at the CONS in these reviews, and always start with the lowest ratings. Typically I find that nearly ALL 1-2 star reviews are simply the result of a faulty piece of equipment, which happens, or unrealistic expectations. Many reviewers also provide feedback prematurely. it just ANNOYS me when someone gives a review after taking it out of the box without ever using it.

Long story short, either scour online reviews, demo one at a dealer (if possible) or buy and try for yourself. I certainly think that you are right to gravitate towards the Honda engine. At the very least you will know that the engine could theoretically outlast the rest of the machine.

Lawn Addict
Threads
LOL Engine propably could outlast the rest, Thank You excellent info. I will do just that..