Max Zoom 60 Kawasaki Engine Replacement

iviechanik696

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all! I am new to the forum. Glad to be here! I have a max zoom 60 mower with the Kawasaki fr730v engine. The engine suffers from blow by issues and oil leaks due to excessive crankcase pressure. I believe these issues have been exacerbated by poor air filter system design on the fr series engines. (The filter has been serviced very regularly) I will be replacing the engine because this is my backup mower and the transmission and running gear are still in good shape. The fx series has the Donaldson dual layer air filter system which I believe to be far superior. I was wondering if anyone has replaced the fr series with an fx that has the same 1" diameter crankshaft. Any problems with Mount points, other control and wiring issues ect? I realize I could outfit the new fr with the better filter system as well, but the cost seems very comparable in my research. Any information would be helpful. Cheers!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do it all the time
Down here in OZ there is actually an upgrade kit which is authorised by Kawakasi but not available through dealers
480-600 kit
651 to 740
When I fit them I fit the filter to the ROPS so that it is out of the way and does not impede removal of the blower housing for fin cleaning
It also means you can leave the original plastic blower housing in place which makes it a lot cheaper .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert if it is a kit from Kawasaki then why don't they publish a PN for the kit instead of listing all the parts the vendor has assemble for their kits? Meanwhile I created my own internal PDF that list the conversion kit individual parts in case someone at my shop wants a conversion done.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
RGS are a Kawakasi distributors , one of my suppliers & Kawakasi's largest Aust customer .
As such I get good prices on complete engines but that comes at the cost of not wholesaling aftermarket Kawakasi parts
Kawakasi obviously want you to buy the FX and not a FS or FR & convert them which down here works out about $ 150 cheaper .
However they recognise the kit and it comes with an aknowledgement that fitting one will not void the warranty .
At the moment Kawakasi give 2 years domestic warranty on the FS & FR and 3 years domestic or 2 years commercial on the FX .
Most of the upgrades I have done were to Timecutters where an FX is not an option new from Toro.
I don't get to see Kawakasi reps very often as they have changed their trade school policy to only include whole goods retailers & not strait workshops
But I do run into him now & then around the traps .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I not downing RBS but they are simply to far away considering my Kawasaki distributor is state side.

Bert I just wish there was a complete kit # but apparently RBS did take the time to create one internally which appreciated. I can use the PNs to do the same on my system. All I got to do is add all those PNs and setup a kit PN so it can list all the bins and how many items that I need to pull parts from to make up a kit. Just take extra time then a pre-made kit which is more convenient but it can be done. The only PN I see that I would use an alternate for is the screws as I buy them in bulk from another supplier.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Didn't post the link to drum up customers for RGS just to show they are available ( down here at least )
Two locals on this list have bought them & fitted them AFAIK because they PMed me
If the part numbers were useful to you and any other workshop then all the better.
Nothing that could not be done in private with some IPL's but a lot easier in a single lump
As stated I use a longer tube and bolt them to the ROPS and to date none of them have needed an outer replaced let alone an inner
Amazing how moving th intake a couple of feet will so drastically reduce the dust
The only complaint I got was one customer who does not use ear protection winged about the induction hiss

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert I not complaining as I can make a kit using the PNs given but it just sounded like there were a pre-built kit pn. As I said I make my own kits from the PNs given and it is appreciated.

Of course we can't make everyone happy. There will always be a nit picker. I am guilty of that myself at times. Apology if I came across that way.

Here it is just a matter setting up each of the PNs that I don't currently have on the system, generating a kit PN with all those items listed as kit items, and let the system transfer all the need parts to the kit and for me to box up the kit.