Matching GCV190 crankshaft

arch252

Threads
Anyone know a source to reference a Honda GCV190 crankshaft based on the numbers stamped in the counterweights of the shaft? Called Honda and provided complete engine code. Crankshaft they sent has a larger crank journal and when the connecting rod is torqued to spec it locks in place, can't spin at all.

Sick of trying to decipher Honda engine codes for a correct part, I'd rather trust the number stamped on the shaft if that's possible.

Original crank has 1 MTI stamped on the left and YXH stamped on the right. Replacement has 4 MTI stamped on the left and FKX stamped on the right. All other specs are the same. HRD and 190 are stamped on the opposite side on both shafts.

Goes on a HRX217 if that matters.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Look for GCV190 on your engine case as well as added numbers & letters.

Last edited:

arch252

Threads
That doesn't help, identifies the engine as GCVLA-BHH. Parts diagram shows one crank with 8 different options. My measurements match Option 9. (Not a typo, there is no #2 or #7 option).

The measurement of my crank journal is 29.96mm, the replacement journal is 30.00mm. So close I would think the difference is just from wear to the crank journal but both the new replacement connecting rod and the old connecting rod both lock in place on the journal when torqued to spec.

arch252

Threads
What I'm calling the journal, where the connecting rod meets the crankshaft is technically called the crankpin. The specs for the GCV190 show the clearance should be 29.98. The one they sent is 30.00mm. Possible it just wasn't milled to specs and is defective?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
For the HRX217 the engine are order the mower IPL. Need to have the complete info for the mower something like the following along with the serial number.

1662345062326.png

There is about 31 specific model within the HRX217 series.

arch252

Threads
Yes, I understand that. Called Honda and gave them that complete mower code and they matched it to the crank I mentioned above. When I pulled the old crank the numbers stamped into it were different than the numbers stamped into the new crank they sent. The crankpin (journal) is just slightly larger, causing both the new and the old connecting rods to lock tight onto the crankpin when torqued to spec. This is why I am hoping to identify the correct crankshaft based on the numbers stamped directly into the crankshaft.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If post the numbers along with the serial number than I can look at the IPLs on this end to see if the person didn't simply pulled the wrong info. Also while you make you didn't install the rod upside down as some only go one way.on the crankshaft.

arch252

Threads
It was installed correctly. My bigger concern is the Honda specs show the crankpin measurement to be 29.98mm and the one I received is 30.00mm. Are there any GCV190 crankshafts with a crankpin larger than 29.98mm? If not then this one was simply manufactured out of spec. I can get the mower model # when I get back to my shop. What I'm really trying to find out is if there is a resource to identify the crankshaft based on the numbers stamped onto it.