Masport 550 blade height

Justadad

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have just purchased a masport 550 and as I cut my grass weekly and it’s rye I like to cut it low.
It’s almost as if the blades are set too high inside the mower, on the ideal blade height setting the body drags along the ground (on the grass not if you push it on concrete)
On the next height setting the body clears the ground but doesn’t cut low enough.
Does anyone k ow if it’s possible to lower the blades inside the body?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I reviewed your owners manual. The way your blade is made and it’s mounting design, you might be out of luck. You might have to get used to cutting on the next to lowest setting. There is a reason the blades are tucked up inside of the deck. Safety is one reason and vacuum is another.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Assuming you have a President 550 that uses the # 529150 blade 4" long ( middle of the bolt hole to the tip of the blade ) with 1/2" bolt hole then you can replace it with the SuperSwift # 609184 blade which is stepped.
They come in a 3 pack or loose from a real mower store ( still in sets of 3 )
However as MParr already pointed out , it is "caveat emptor" when fitting a different blade because that will change the airflow under the deck so the grass might not go into the catcher properly or build up under the deck etc
Also the blade tips might end up being lower than the bottom of the deck and after Victa introduced the extended skirts in 1968 on the old "Toe Cutters" they closed down the Mower Foot Surgery team at RPA .
If you want to make a whip for your back and cut too low so you perpetually need to water & weed then you really should be using a reel mower meant for cutting very low growing grasses like couch .
Rye should be cut no lower than 2" in Tasmania to 3" in North Queensland .

Last edited: