LX277 (Riding Mower) not starting

FromStyx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought this mower used/refurbished a few years ago. After I changed this oil this spring, I had to try to start it 3 or 4 times before it finally turned on and it worked fine. I even started mowing the lawn, then about 30 minutes in I saw a neighbor next door and shut it off to talk to him. Then, after I was done, i tried starting it afterwards and it wouldn't. Sometimes it clicks when i try to start it but the engine never even gets going (it doesn't even make that noise when you are starting anything gas powered before the engine fully turns on).

I thought the battery was perhaps the cultprit because i've had issues with it before. I took it to Battery Mart and they said it's fine it just needs to get charged. So I left it there overnight, and when I reinstalled the battery it still doesn't start...

What is next on the check list? If I can't fix this thing I swear I'm never gonna buy a riding mower again, these things are NOT worth the trouble...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try to rotate the engine by hand to make sure it is not hydro locked.
Next check the valve lash .
If it is excessive that defeats the automatic decompression system.
Like any petrol powered device, a ride on mower requires maintenance which is generally not bothered with till it won't go.

I have just finished a "service" on a McCulloch ZTR that was not maintained.
IT is 4 years old and required $ 960 in parts alone + another $ 600 worth of my time .

Now JD publish excellent Technical Manuals , which really should be called "A mower repair manuals for dummies" or "An Idiots Guide to Mower Repair"
In reality a 6 year old can fix a ride on if they could actually read the book .
If you are going to keep the mower then buy the book.
JD also have owners manuals available on line, in parts only which are far more comprehensive than most repair manuals .

FromStyx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try to rotate the engine by hand to make sure it is not hydro locked.
Next check the valve lash .
If it is excessive that defeats the automatic decompression system.
Like any petrol powered device, a ride on mower requires maintenance which is generally not bothered with till it won't go.

I have just finished a "service" on a McCulloch ZTR that was not maintained.
IT is 4 years old and required $ 960 in parts alone + another $ 600 worth of my time .

Now JD publish excellent Technical Manuals , which really should be called "A mower repair manuals for dummies" or "An Idiots Guide to Mower Repair"
In reality a 6 year old can fix a ride on if they could actually read the book .
If you are going to keep the mower then buy the book.
JD also have owners manuals available on line, in parts only which are far more comprehensive than most repair manuals .
yeah maintenance on lawn equipment is more complicated that an average consumer wants it to be...definetly simpler than a car, and cars aren't all that bad:

-change oil every 5-10,000 miles

-change brake pads when your brakes get crunchy

-change clutch if you have a stick shift

-change transmission fluid every 100,000 miles if you have an automatic

-change brake fluid every 100,000 miles...

and unless you are trying to spend to much money that about does it...of course there's manufacturer error and your serpentine belt. Stick with the highest rated brands! As far an lawn equipment it's all cheap trash in comparison...

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
yeah maintenance on lawn equipment is more complicated that an average consumer wants it to be...definetly simpler than a car, and cars aren't all that bad:

-change oil every 5-10,000 miles

-change brake pads when your brakes get crunchy

-change clutch if you have a stick shift

-change transmission fluid every 100,000 miles if you have an automatic

-change brake fluid every 100,000 miles...

and unless you are trying to spend to much money that about does it...of course there's manufacturer error and your serpentine belt. Stick with the highest rated brands! As far an lawn equipment it's all cheap trash in comparison...
BS! I change my engine oil on the cub cadet every 15,000 miles using synthetic!