LX 46 EFI Won't start

Atomicthunker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower was bought 03/2020, only has 15.6 hours. Was running fine when I drove into my shed last week. Today when trying to start it, it would crank, but not start. I know it is still in warranty, but I assume will have to find a way to get to the dealer. Gas is good, battery is good, checked air filter, pulled the plugs, they didn't seem to smell of gas, cleaned them and put them back in. Not sure if the electronic ignition or if the EFI has failed. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem and what was the solution. Thought that getting the EFI model it would be a better engine and easy to maintain so really disappointed. My last Cub lasted 10 years and was still running good. Had to replace it because the deck rusted out beyond repair. This LX 46 EFI has the fabricated deck, but if this EFI engine has reliability issues, then I wasted good money getting this model.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It will need to go to the dealer and let them figure it out. Not worth messing something up that could effect warranty. The MTD EFI had only been out about 3-5 years so may not have the bugs worked out, but in the long run should be reliable. I think they are using Bosch injection or Holley injection

geelee

Threads
does it have push button start? I have seen 3 or 4 of them fail causing that problem. It would be warranty.

Atomicthunker

Forum Newbie
Threads
It will need to go to the dealer and let them figure it out. Not worth messing something up that could effect warranty. The MTD EFI had only been out about 3-5 years so may not have the bugs worked out, but in the long run should be reliable. I think they are using Bosch injection or Holley injection

Atomicthunker

Forum Newbie
Threads
The problem I am having now is finding a dealer that can service it. The Cub dealer I bought it from in March is no longer servicing Cub Cadet. Cub Cadet web site service locator is outdated and useless. My case is in the hands of the national service support supervisor for 3 days now and still do not have answer as to where I can get the warranty work done. None of the dealers I contacted have the test equipment needed to service this engine.

Atomicthunker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes it has the push button start. The problem I am having now is finding a dealer that can service it. The Cub dealer I bought it from in March is no longer servicing Cub Cadet. Cub Cadet web site service locator is outdated and useless. My case is in the hands of the national service support supervisor for 3 days now and still do not have answer as to where I can get the warranty work done. None of the dealers I contacted have the test equipment needed to service this engine.

cruzenmike

Threads
While you wait for MTD to get back to you or to locate a reputable dealer within reach that can service you, you might want to try removing the air cleaner and while someone else attempts to turn it over spray some starting fluid into the throttle body. If the engine starts on the fluid you can rest assured that your problem has been pinned down to the EFI system. If it still will not start, you might have other issues ignition related. Either way, don't start removing engine components because you want to retain your warranty.

geelee

Threads
If its the push button switch you wont have spark and injectors wont open. module is about 160.00. pretty steep to just replace it and be done with it.

pollishpickle

Threads
You can call MTD and they will give you a list of dealers near you that can help.