LX 176 won't start

Dredge Rat

Threads
OK when I went to start my LX 176 the starter or solenoid would not engage, no sound , no click, anything. I have power to the starter and when I pull the mower switch I can hear it engage but when I turn the key to start it is dead silence. Is there a way to check the starter and the solenoid to see if they are good or not?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Run a jumper lead directly from the battery to the + lug on the side of the starter.
Beware of the massive spark.

Before you do that try to turn the engine over by hand
If you can not do this then remove the spark plug & try the starter again

Dredge Rat

Threads
I used jumper wires from a battery, one to the + side and one to the ground side of the batt and starter frame. Then I used a small jumper wire from the small spade on the starter to the + post of the battery and it engaged so looks like it might be in the switch, mother board, or wiring. Or if it were a bad solenoid would it still start with the sequence that I used?

Richie F

Threads
Your starter solenoid normally goes thru two safety switches first before letting the starter solenoid operate.
In your system it might go from ignition switch, to brake switch and then to the PTO to operate the the cutting blades, and then to starter solenoid to turn the engine over.
You have a John Deere model LX176 but what is the serial number ?

Dredge Rat

Threads
Your starter solenoid normally goes thru two safety switches first before letting the starter solenoid operate.
In your system it might go from ignition switch, to brake switch and then to the PTO to operate the the cutting blades, and then to starter solenoid to turn the engine over.
You have a John Deere model LX176 but what is the serial number ?
Right now I don't have as it's up at our cabin but will check this P.M. if I get a chance. The Mod. no. is 176B180143.