Ltx 1040 is creeping

hoj

Threads
my unit 99% of the time creeps slowy foward when put into netutral and also moves forward and in reverse even when the clutch pedal is fully depressed. This is becoming a dangerous situation as even at slow speed I manage to run into things and almost off the curb with the blade engaged.

It has a sealed transmisson I am guessung it's 10 years old?? I have tried belt adjustments and looking how to adjust the neutral control arm but having no luck finding that on my unit.

I am a fairly decent DYI guy but I have been at this on and off for several months now without success. Thus could it be a bad belt /wrong belt /a belt adjustment,/ foot clutch adjustment,/ the transmission??? I seen to recall it started after I replaced the engine pulley belts (not the deck) but I may be mistaken????

Tx for lending me a hand with this BOB HOJ

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Need the model number from the serial number tag. It starts with 13.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Could very well be the wrong belt,
Belt part number should be 954-0467A, but as Star Tech mentioned, need the model number from under the seat.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most the IPLs shows MTD's single transaxle for LTX1040 but the service manual does have an Hydro Gear attachment for the 310 series hydrostatic transaxle that was used the LTX1000 series. So the hood could have been changed out.

For example the LTX1050 had a hydro transaxle.

Howho

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mine also when I back up its like it tightens up then in a few seconds it slows again especially going uphill.
My Model LTZ 1040 No. 19A30003100 Serial 1D1190J10201, 42" Kohler Courage

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The 19A30003100 is the bagger model. No such LTZ 1040 but I think that is just fat finger entry for LTX 1040.

LTX 1040 has a MTD CVT system so if truely in neutral than it shouldn't move by itself as that would be true neutral position; unless, linkage is out of adjustment. Too short of a belt or damaged engine pulley can cause creeping when the clutch is depress. Belt is a 0.656 in. x 90.8 in.

hoj

Threads
The 19A30003100 is the bagger model. No such LTZ 1040 but I think that is just fat finger entry for LTX 1040.

LTX 1040 has a MTD CVT system so if truely in neutral than it shouldn't move by itself as that would be true neutral position; unless, linkage is out of adjustment. Too short of a belt or damaged engine pulley can cause creeping when the clutch is depress. Belt is a 0.656 in. x 90.8 in.
how to adjust linkage??? thanx which belt are you referring to??? small 1 under the battery box or the larger 1 that runs under the main frame??? if one depresses the right foot pedal(clutch???) should that disengage the mower from moving if the selector rod is in reverse or forward???

TX ye ole man HOJ

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Mine also when I back up its like it tightens up then in a few seconds it slows again especially going uphill.
My Model LTZ 1040 No. 19A30003100 Serial 1D1190J10201, 42" Kohler Courage
Please start your own thread.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
how to adjust linkage??? thanx which belt are you referring to??? small 1 under the battery box or the larger 1 that runs under the main frame??? if one depresses the right foot pedal(clutch???) should that disengage the mower from moving if the selector rod is in reverse or forward???

TX ye ole man HOJ
The engine to CVT pulley. If you brought an after market belt it is likely the problem as MTD mowers CVT system is very picky about which belts works correctly. But is some repair instructions from the service manual.
1660388993489.png
1660389026557.png
1660389057903.png
Note: This adjustment of tensioner idler arm linkage will not usually work if you have the incorrect belt installed. 99% of the time it is an after market belt the gives the problem. I had one that just insisting their belts that were up to an inch where correct. This why I install primarily OEM belts when it comes to MTD drive belts.

Also this is a pain to do as it is a trial and error adjustment; otherwords, you make the adjustment and test. It is not a simple as one or two full turns and we are done. Sometimes it take several attempts before you find the right position.

hoj

Threads
The engine to CVT pulley. If you brought an after market belt it is likely the problem as MTD mowers CVT system is very picky about which belts works correctly. But is some repair instructions from the service manual.
View attachment 61928
View attachment 61929
View attachment 61930
Note: This adjustment of tensioner idler arm linkage will not usually work if you have the incorrect belt installed. 99% of the time it is an after market belt the gives the problem. I had one that just insisting their belts that were up to an inch where correct. This why I install primarily OEM belts when it comes to MTD drive belts.

Also this is a pain to do as it is a trial and error adjustment; otherwords, you make the adjustment and test. It is not a simple as one or two full turns and we are done. Sometimes it take several attempts before you find the right position.
wow and 2x wow TX BOB HOJ after new upper and lower drive belts --trying for OEM seems I can find oem's that say MTD the cub wed site has them very pricey TX again bob