LT42 XT1 - Not Moving

cl10Greg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Everyone,

Toward the end of the last season I noticed that the mower was going slower and slower. One time I took it out and it wasn't moving. I looked around and it appeared that a stick was jammed in underneath so I took that out and everything seemed fine for awhile but there is still an issue. For starters, it won't go in reverse at all, no pressure to drive it backwards. With forward, I can step on the accelerator 2-3 times and have it do nothing and then sometimes the 4th-5th will make a whining noise and go slowly forward. I took the deck off yesterday and jacked it up to look at it. When in the air, the tires are able to move freely, so doesn't seem like a lock up. I took the bottom transmission bracket off to look at the springs and bars and everything looked in order. The pedals would move the associated linkage on the rear differential. I started it up and the motor drive shaft was rotating but I will not that the rear fan wasn't moving.....not sure if its suppose to or what other clues I should look for but any ideas?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post the model and serial numbers from under the seat, as there are a half dozen different units available.

cl10Greg

Forum Newbie
Threads
13apa1ct009. 10225h30452. Only like 75 hours on it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That model has TuffTorq K46DM transmission and single drive belt. The three most common problems on that system are worn belt, worn idler pulleys, and/or tight tensioner arm. You are going to have to pull the deck and get under the unit to check these. Have an assistant seat on the unit and move the pedal so you can see and check operation.

cl10Greg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like a starting point, thanks for the heads up!

spk2000

Forum Newbie
Threads
My yard has pretty steep climb that breaks down the transmission fluid. I was using Mobil1 15W50 but mine is a Tuff Torq K57 on a snapper and change it twice a year. Same idea if your fluid got hot and broke down it needs to be replaced. The only way I can get into it is through the top with a vacuum extractor pulls out a little less than a quart. Then dribble it back in very slowly. Mower will start slowing down and eventually not go up the hill. I switched to Amsoil Hydrostatic Fluid and have not had the problem since over a year ago. Seems to not breakdwon as fast as the Mobil1 did. The oil coming out tends to have a very dirty water appearance and definitely does not resemble the oil going in.