LT2700 Silver Eagle battery

bijiminy

Threads
I have an LT2700 that I bought used last year. It's battery has died. I am reading from the manual that it takes a 12 volt 66 plate 295 cold cranking amp maintenance free battery. I think the one that is in it is too small anyway. The holding bracket is too large for the battery. Does anyone know what brand and model number battery came with it? I can get a replacement if I knew those specifications. Thank you

bijiminy

Threads
What I have in it is an Interstate SP-35. I think it has 300 cranking amps, which should be sufficient. It started the mower with ease last year, but I had to jump it off with first start of the season. It takes a full charge, but it still struggles now. It was manufactured 2019. They are only warranted for 6 months. I'm wondering if I could put a small side post car battery in. It would give it more cranking amps and probably last longer. Any suggestions?

Born2Mow

Threads
Here's the unvarnished truth about batteries....

1. There are on-line stores that sell batteries by physical size. If fitting the battery box (physical size) is important, then you can try a source, like Battery Jack. Look under "motorsports" because a mower battery is most like a car or motorcycle battery. https://www.batteryjackdealer.com/

2. The factory installed the cheapest battery that met the requirements. So it doesn't make a toot what brand came with the mower. You probably can't buy that brand anyway, unless you buy batteries by the pallet load. You simply need a battery that meets the requirement specs.

3. Batteries are NOT like other electrical devices. I once worked in an OLD house. The Edison light bulbs from the 1920's in the attic still worked ! However, because batteries are liquid chemical devices they are not like light bulbs. They are subject to electrical charge, age, temperature, local environment, etc, etc. In other words they are more like owning a dog in that they REQUIRE regular attention and maintenance.

IMHO, the Interstate Battery is the best you can buy. But, if you bring home the very best, $3000 pure-bread dog, but never care for him... he'll soon be dead by starvation, disease, loneliness, eaten by coyotes, rabid raccoon attack, etc, etc. So don't tell us the brand of battery, instead tell us what care you gave the battery. I suspect the answer is "None", and so, like the dog, neither of us should be surprised that you are once again back at the battery store doing more shopping.

Basics
A. Most batteries are now made in China and quality is way down. So if you expect even a moderate life, then you had better be "loving on them" like a pet.
B. If there's a water level, then you need to watch that level and add distilled water when needed.
C. Battery posts need to be clean and corrosion-free at all times. That means being pro-active with anti-corrosion battery post treatments.
D. Batteries need to be maintained YEAR-ROUND in a charged state, and protected from freezing temps. The best way to charge a battery is to run the piece of equipment. Second best is to disconnect one battery cable during any storage*. Third best is to attach a sub-1A "trickle charger" for ~3 hours, about once a month. (Too much charge is worse than too little.) In a perfect world, you might have one battery which you put in your mower in Spring, put in your motorcycle in Fall, and put in your snowblower for Winter.
E. BOTH battery cables need to be in A+ condition and there can be NO corrosion or rust at either end.
F. The ONLY test of battery condition is a "battery load test".

* I'm a huge advocate of these battery disconnect devices. CLICK HERE

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads

That is debateable. The new testers that measure internal resistance are as accurate as a load tester. Used to have to service server battery backups. In the old days we used a carbon pile load tester. We switched over to the new internal resistance checker. Used them side by side and results were the same.

bijiminy

Threads
What would make a battery take a full charge but not deliver full amperage. I’ve cleaned the cables. I can’t think of anything else unless the battery is under powered to begin with. I guess I could put an ammeter on it to see how many amps it is truly delivering. Thanks for your response

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
"Full charge" measuring 12.5 to 12.6 volts is not an indication of capacity. Try to start it while measuring battery voltage. What does it drop to?

Born2Mow

Threads
1. If you connect a high wattage head lamp bulb (say ~50-65W) for 2 minutes, THEN measure the battery voltage, that will often bleed off the "surface charge" and give a better indication of the REAL internal voltage of the battery. The voltage should not drop below about 12.3V with a test like this.

2. Sometimes it's not the battery at all, but how the battery is connected. It is common for the battery "ground" cable to run down and be bolted to the steel frame. That is a TERRIBLE electrical connection !! The starter is mounted to the engine, so the "ground" cable needs to be attached directly to the engine. And since the engine is corrosion-prone aluminum, the place the electrical cable mounts needs to be absolutely corrosion-free. Both ends of BOTH battery cables then will often be treated with an anti-oxidation compound, like No-Ox-Id or similar.

3. Maybe the battery is in fantastic condition, but it's simply NOT being charged as the engine runs. So the charging system might be questionable.

4. Maybe the battery has been over-charged. If you have a small-ish mower battery, but you connect a car battery charger, then it's easy to "cook" the smaller battery to death.

In short, there a LOTS of ways to screw this up ! Sorry, but there is not just one answer.

Born2Mow

Threads

That is debateable. The new testers that measure internal resistance are as accurate as a load tester. Used to have to service server battery backups. In the old days we used a carbon pile load tester. We switched over to the new internal resistance checker. Used them side by side and results were the same.
I stand corrected then. I see you have background in a similar industry. Mine was telecom OSP battery backup.

bijiminy

Threads
"Full charge" measuring 12.5 to 12.6 volts is not an indication of capacity. Try to start it while measuring battery voltage. What does it drop to?
I charged the battery up to 13.2 volts. It dropped to 10.3 after starting with cleaned cables and using dielectric grease. What does that mean? Thanks for helping

Last edited:

Graeden

Threads
I have an LT2700 that I bought used last year. It's battery has died. I am reading from the manual that it takes a 12 volt 66 plate 295 cold cranking amp maintenance free battery. I think the one that is in it is too small anyway. The holding bracket is too large for the battery. Does anyone know what brand and model number battery came with it? I can get a replacement if I knew those specifications. Thank you
Find a local farm store that sells Deka batteries as they are much better than Interstate brand.https://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/contact/where-to-buy/