haze350

Forum Newbie
Threads
Short and sweet..
-Replaced starter
-Replaced starter solenoid
-Replaced ignition switch
-Replaced battery

Turn the key and it clicks briefly and then slowly stops.
Any help would be appreciated.
Will start perfect with a jump from a car.
Battery is 100%

Was running and starting last week. So fuel is fine. Ran all summer.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The parts store must love you
Another toss parts at the problem before you diagnose it
99% chance your problem that you have just spent $ 300 not fixing is nothing more than the valved being out of adjustment which is a no cost fix
I get at least 5 of these a year

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Party agree. Got to diagnose the problem before spending tons money guessing at the problem.

But the mower came with the Kohler CV460S series engine which has hydraulic lifters so no adjustment for the valves.

Now considering the age of the LT160 it can be a worn out starter dragging which these inertia starter wears out the top bushings. But the op already replaced that.

He also mentions he replaced the ignition switch but did he check the terminal in the ignition switch connector? Probably not and these Packard terminal are known to break their spring contacts and lose contact from heating.

It does sounds like a voltage drop problem due a low charge battery or some bad connection. Just because battery reads full 12v charge voltage doesn't it is fully charged as that may only be a surface charge. I had last week that showed it was fully according to my battery charger that still failed under load test. Automatic chargers are the worst at this which is why I depend on a 40 yr old charger most times.

Plus he needs make sure all grounds are clean and tight. Loose engine mounting bolts can cause problems.

D

Deleted member 97405

Short and sweet..
-Replaced starter
-Replaced starter solenoid
-Replaced ignition switch
-Replaced battery

Turn the key and it clicks briefly and then slowly stops.
Any help would be appreciated.
Will start perfect with a jump from a car.
Battery is 100%

Was running and starting last week. So fuel is fine. Ran all summer.
This engine has hydraulic lifters like another user mentioned, so we can eliminate that as a possible issue. Very first thing I would check is the cranking amps (CCA) of the battery. I know it’s new, but you’re description sounds like a dead battery. Think of it in terms of a garden hose. The voltage is the size of the hose, and the cranking amps is the pressure force of the water. So, you can have a battery showing full charge, 12 volts, which will light a light bulb, but if the cranking amps aren’t there, the battery won’t power the starter. I am eliminating wiring, grounds, etc because it starts fine when jumping from a car battery. If there was a wiring issue, jump starting from a car wouldn’t make any difference, assuming you’re connecting the jump cables to the battery. Please update with your results. Thanks and good luck!

GrassVol

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm having a similar issue on my LT160, but fairly certain it is not the battery. The flywheel does not spin well. When I take the spark plug out, the engine moves much better. Any suggestions?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not a mention about any grounds being checked or looked at.

Lot of people replace everything on the positive side and give up. ???

Clean the grounds and check for connector tightness. Polish grounding areas down to clean bare metal. Star grounding washers are your friend.

Starts fine with jumper cables. That should tell you something. Starts when you do this but not that other way. (y)

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm having a similar issue on my LT160, but fairly certain it is not the battery. The flywheel does not spin well. When I take the spark plug out, the engine moves much better. Any suggestions?
Either valve adjustment if possible, weak/dead battery or corroded battery connectors.

Clean and inspect the ground cable first.

Do voltage drop tests with the circuit UNDER LOAD.

GrassVol

Forum Newbie
Threads
Either valve adjustment if possible, weak/dead battery or corroded battery connectors.

Clean and inspect the ground cable first.

Do voltage drop tests with the circuit UNDER LOAD.
Appreciate your quick response. I will check grounds, but that shouldn't affect the flywheel being hard to turn by hand would it? As preciously mentioned, the engine has hydraulic lifters, so cannot adjust valves.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Remove the spark plug and see how the engine turns. This will remove the compression loading.