Lt155 fuel pump not pulling fuel from tank.

SimpleLawnBoy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Lt155 lawn mower where the fuel pump is not pumping the gas from the tank to carb. The previous owner claims he put a new pump on it, and I also bought a new one just to make sure. And still no luck.
I set up a gravity feed tank to the engine and the engine ran perfect so I know it's the pump. I am at a lost. It's a Kohler 13hp engine.

Sue sharpener

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Lt155 lawn mower where the fuel pump is not pumping the gas from the tank to carb. The previous owner claims he put a new pump on it, and I also bought a new one just to make sure. And still no luck.
I set up a gravity feed tank to the engine and the engine ran perfect so I know it's the pump. I am at a lost. It's a Kohler 13hp engine.
Is there a solenoid on the bottom of the pump? Could be an electrical problem. Let me check my Koehler engine on the Dixon. I will get back pretty soon.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
See if you can manually pull from the tank. If you get only air then the fuel tank pickup tube is probably the plastic type and has broken off. IF you can't anything at all then the line is clogged.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As Star mentioned, usually the problem is debris plugging the fuel tank outlet .
The other thing I find regularly is people hook up the pump wrong.
Cheap pumps have a single one way valve and good ones have 2 so they must be hooked up correctly
Impulse line goes to the flat end
Intake line goes under the impulse line on the side
and that leaves to outlet on the other side

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
According the IPL this is a Kohler with a mechanical fuel pump; just an in and an out. Just have to make sure you are ordering parts either from JD or use the engine model and spec number to get the right pump.

SimpleLawnBoy

Forum Newbie
Threads
As Star mentioned, usually the problem is debris plugging the fuel tank outlet .
The other thing I find regularly is people hook up the pump wrong.
Cheap pumps have a single one way valve and good ones have 2 so they must be hooked up correctly
Impulse line goes to the flat end
Intake line goes under the impulse line on the side
and that leaves to outlet on the other side
I have check and replaced the fuel line running from the tank to the pump. I have also check the line that goes into the tank. All clear. I was able to pull gas if I manually pumped it by hand. So I know for some reason it's not pumping when installed. Could the cam be so worn it can't make good contact? I've looked inside and felt it the cam feels pretty worn but I don't know what a new one would look like.
Ive been told to just get a pulse pump instead. And completely remove the mechanical aspect. Which sounds good to me if it can be a more reliable system. I'm just concerned about where the vacuum hose, would connect to from the pulse pump. I've also never used a pulse pump before haha. So I'm not sure how they work. Thoughts?

SimpleLawnBoy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there a solenoid on the bottom of the pump? Could be an electrical problem. Let me check my Koehler engine on the Dixon. I will get back pretty soon.
It's not an electrical pump. So it can't be that.