LT1045 Decreasing Deck Spin

johnfromwv

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older LT1045. Just replaced the deck belt. After engaging the PTO, the deck spins fine. After engaging the drive, I can mow and it seems normal for the first 10 feet of mowing, but then the deck (not the drive) seems to slow. The longer I mow, the slower I must go to keep the RPMs up on the mowing deck. It seems like the PTO is weakening and needs replaced. If this is true, what's the procedure for the replacement of the PTO, the parts diagram appears to be rather cut and dry, but like everything else, can be deceiving. My question is, does my assessment of the PTO seem correct or am I missing another element that could be causing the rotation of the blades to slow? Engine runs fine, drive runs fine. It's only the deck that slows down, and with the new belt installed, I can't see anything else that could be causing the slowdown.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Locate your tractor Service Manual & see procedure for adjusting air gap at PTO Clutch. I would remove deck for easier access.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My first question is when was the last time the belt was replaced? If more than 3 years ago it could be worn, allowing it to loosen and creating your problem. It may look good, but my experience is you can’t trust your eyes. Next time you use it, when it starts to slow down stop the unit and see if the belt is warm. If it is that means it’s slipping. Also feel all the spindle housings and pulleys, warm means wear, slowing down the cutting operation.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First it depends which the deck belt it needs. One is 1/2 x 118-1/4" and the other is 1/2 x 122". LT1045 Mowers 2007 before can have either one these depending which spindles it has mounted. Later model dates of the LT1045 all used the 122" belt.

If you purchase an after market belt verify its length as many are not even size they claim to be. Plus with this being around 2007 you may need a belt that is a little shorter.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the deck belt from the engine and spin the blades by hand ( both of them )
They should spin freely and continue to spin after you give them a flick.
When it gets slow stop & sip the deck belt off the engine
Then try to spin the blades by hand again
If they are noticably stiffer then time for new bearings