lt1018no spark

lunyty

Forum Newbie
Threads
the last couple times i went to start it it turned over for a long time before firing ,,today it would not start so i checked fuel at the carb,it was good backfire valve works, then checked spark.....none,,the wire to the coil only reads .25 volt,,i ran 12v to coil and it sparked so i put plug back in ,and no spark again.....should i have not put 12v to coil or is the coil or signal wire to it just bad ,,,any help appreciated.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Give us the model number of the tractor and engine, the tractor number should be located under the seat, and engine model number stamped around the spark plug area, unless it's a kohler engine, it will be on a shiny tag. get the Model and Spec number.
However, if the engine doesn't use points and condenser, that coil should only have two wires to it, the actual spark plug lead, and the ground (kill wire) wire, if there is any voltage to that coil it will kill the coil instantly.

lunyty

Forum Newbie
Threads
it only has 1 wire and plug wire,,it's a B&S 18.5,,,it had .25v going to coil,,,i suppose i fried it throwing 12v to the kill wire,,,i don't know much about small engines even though i've built Harley and car engines for years...

Attachments

• Resized_20200913_114958.jpeg
    Resized_20200913_114958.jpeg
    937.1 KB · Views: 3

lunyty

Forum Newbie
Threads
this is the right one

Attachments

• cub.jpg
    cub.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 4

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
it only has 1 wire and plug wire,,it's a B&S 18.5,,,it had .25v going to coil,,,i suppose i fried it throwing 12v to the kill wire,,,i don't know much about small engines even though i've built Harley and car engines for years...

Yes the wire that goes to the coil is a ground wire so the timing chip inside the coil is now burned to a crisp.

If it is an 18 Hp Briggs then the engine number should start with a 35 through to a 44
The serial number could start with 10 which makes it a 2010 model.