Loose belt issue. Craftsman lt1000 model: 917275350

OJSANDOVAL

Threads
Hello I’m new to this! I have a craftsman lt1000 model: 917275350.
I bought it used and worked 3 mows before it chewed up the belt. It got stuck under the left side pully I believe it’s the one with the spindle. I went and replaced it and mowed again no problem. I disengaged the blades and then went to renegade them and it started smoking and got stuck under the same pully. I have to always check the belt before I engage the blades now to make sure it’s not stuck, it never gets stuck when blades engaged already. Does anyone know if maybe I’m missing like a spring or anything on my deck that would keep the belt on the pully? It also starts very slow an winds up slow when starting blades. I have tried to tighten the tensioner cable but it’s one of the mowers that doesn’t have the bracket to tighten it. I’m going to add the pic I have of the deck. Maybe you guys can let me know if any parts are missing as I bought it used. Thank you!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I'd start by replacing the belt. the V of the belt is probably worn down so there's more slack in it. And with that chunk out of it, there ain't going to be no keeping it on for long. also make sure there are no sharp or jagged spots in the groove of the pulleys.
belt Part number is

193214​

OJSANDOVAL

Threads
Already replaced, that’s not the issue unfortunately

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well according to Manual ( the Mexican know it all ) that deck does not belong to that mower or if it does then the entire Belt clutching system is wrong at worst or upside down at best and probably a mix & match
According to one site, this is what the deck should look like
8D3A0E134556DCF3C75C58C6ACACCF481722559C.jpg
Part numbered 144 is the belt keeper # 193414 marked as NLA
Part numbered 148 is the return spring # 169022 also marked as NLA
I think you will find Husqvarna part # 532158634 is either the same or can be modified to fit
And same for 532173442 which is what usually goes on the tensioner idler

Stanley B & D have bought out Craftsman and as the new owners they are not obliged to keep parts for older models so they now come up as NLA
However it is a down graded rebadged Husqvarna so if you check the Date of manufacture ( which should be on the ID tag under the seat ) and search Husqvarna models for that year ( tractor data.com is good for that ) then you can find the sort of equivalent Husqvarna model and source Husqvarna parts .
Better still you can download the Husqvarna parts book for your equivalent model.

Some times if your mower was a year or two after a new Husqvarna model or major upgrade then the Craftsman is the superseded model
I have to do this sort of search all the time to work out what parts are needed for locally branded mowers where no parts lists are available .

OJSANDOVAL

Threads
Well according to Manual ( the Mexican know it all ) that deck does not belong to that mower or if it does then the entire Belt clutching system is wrong at worst or upside down at best and probably a mix & match
According to one site, this is what the deck should look like
View attachment 62362
Part numbered 144 is the belt keeper # 193414 marked as NLA
Part numbered 148 is the return spring # 169022 also marked as NLA
I think you will find Husqvarna part # 532158634 is either the same or can be modified to fit
And same for 532173442 which is what usually goes on the tensioner idler

Stanley B & D have bought out Craftsman and as the new owners they are not obliged to keep parts for older models so they now come up as NLA
However it is a down graded rebadged Husqvarna so if you check the Date of manufacture ( which should be on the ID tag under the seat ) and search Husqvarna models for that year ( tractor data.com is good for that ) then you can find the sort of equivalent Husqvarna model and source Husqvarna parts .
Better still you can download the Husqvarna parts book for your equivalent model.

Some times if your mower was a year or two after a new Husqvarna model or major upgrade then the Craftsman is the superseded model
I have to do this sort of search all the time to work out what parts are needed for locally branded mowers where no parts lists are available .
Oh jeez so this is a huge problem, should I just buy another deck? Or try to get those parts u mentioned and modify them? I’m new to this so I’m not afraid to do some work to it but I’m a little lost on some of it. Now that makes sense cause most videos on YouTube with this craftsman the decks have a plastic guard over the pully and mine doesn’t so I was wondering why I never saw a deck that looked like mine on there. Do you have any suggestions in what I should do to get the belt to jusy stop getting caught an breaking. Maybe a smaller belt or try those parts u mentioned? I don’t need it to be a show piece I just wanna cut my grass haha. Thanks !

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The first thing that you could do is to clean the deck top off, in order to see exactly what’s going on. Please clean it off and send another picture. The belt is shot. Those pulleys and spindles need to be checked for binding up or slop. Those two idler pulleys look to be as old as the deck and could be problematic. The bushings or bearings in those pulleys are probably shot. The tension springs probably need replacement.
Grass and debris buildup can cause a belt to jump off.