Loose belt in Ohio

rossfrank

Threads
I purchased a new belt for my Bolens riding mower Model #13AM762F765. The old belt didn't look bad but was loose, so I figured a new belt would fix the problem. It is still loose but not as loose. Is there a chance that the [pulleys themselves are bad? I would appreciate any suggestions. I just don't know what the problem is. Can the idler pulley, or any other pulley, be adjusted to put more tension on the belt. I only wish my pants belt was loose and not my tractor belt.
Thanks, Rosario

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I fairly sure you are referring the deck belt. IF so then what you need is a shorter belt. These mowers came with a replacement belt that is simply too long. Instead using the 954-04062 you need to be using the 954-0338. There is no way to tighten your current v-belt any further as the RH blade brake is either already hitting the idler pulley or is nearly hitting it; unless, you remove the RH blade brake assembly (which makes for an unsafe condition).

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And remember that pulleys wear
As the pulley wears the belt runs deeper in the pulley thus becomes loose.
As an independent tech , I can simply find a shorter belt of the correct profile ( not as easy as it sounds ) or fit bigger idlers to take up the slack.
A branded dealer can not do that so has to replace all of the pulleys ( not cheap )
Because people do not bother to read owners manuals, no one ever lubricates tension arms and that causes the holes to flog out oval.
A very small amount of wear in a pivot can be the difference between a belt gripping or slipping or jumping off .

rossfrank

Threads
Thanks for the information guys. The 04062 belt is 77.150" and the 0338 belt is 77". Did not realize that .150" would make a big difference.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
My MTD price file is showing the 4062 as being 77-1/2.
1629376519521.png
and the 0338 is shown as
1629376599738.png
And yes 69" is way too short. Even a 76" would be too short.

The 77" one works as I personly got one of the 38" Bolens and have several customers with them. All have the 77" belt installed. I just went through this last week and the 954-04062 sold to the customer by another dealer should here measured 77-1/2" on my belt measuring tool.

It is the same with one of the MTD 46" decks where the factory belt is too long at times. I still try the 103" belt on them first before I go to my alternate belt that I stock for those decks.

And does a small make a difference? Yes it can at times. It like the Toro last week where the factory belt is 109.25" but a 109" work much better. The deck was stalling out with the OEM belt and but now the engine nearly stalls out. It still could stand with a 108-3/4 or a 108-1/2 but no one has that size available or at least I haven't found one yet.

rossfrank

Threads
All right thanks StarTech I'm going to try the 38. I don't know where I came up with 69 inch I must have been half asleep when I wrote that I meant 76 inch but you've answered that question already so thanks again I appreciate it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
IF you are like me @ 6am I haven't had my first pot of Java yet. Though lately my living alarm clock goes off at 4am and I can't throw it out before daylight.

rossfrank

Threads
I get it. Without my coffee my brain cells don't wake up till noon. ??