Looking to buy a zero turn or tight turn mower. Need some help

Lph008

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Looking to buy a zero turn or tight turn mower. Need some help
Just bought a house with 1.5 acres. Pretty flat with some low spots but no hills. I'm looking for info on what mower to buy. Considering a zero turn or a tight turn rider. Was considering the cub cadet ztr1 ultima 50 inch. With the Fabricated deck or the same mower with the 42 inch stamped deck. Was wondering if the fabricated deck, wider tires and extra 1hp is worth the $500 difference in price??
Also may consider one of the cub cadet tight turn mowers for half the price. I've never used a zero turn mower, only an regular old rider without the tight turn option. Any help is appreciated

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not really up on those choices but check into the hydro transmission rating. Could be a beefier unit, well worth the extra money if so.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just bought a house with 1.5 acres. Pretty flat with some low spots but no hills. I'm looking for info on what mower to buy. Considering a zero turn or a tight turn rider. Was considering the cub cadet ztr1 ultima 50 inch. With the Fabricated deck or the same mower with the 42 inch stamped deck. Was wondering if the fabricated deck, wider tires and extra 1hp is worth the $500 difference in price??
Also may consider one of the cub cadet tight turn mowers for half the price. I've never used a zero turn mower, only an regular old rider without the tight turn option. Any help is appreciated

It all depends, what's the most important fact to you?
Initial cost?
Dependability?
Long lasting?
Looks?
Cost of repair?

1.5 acres isn't much. You'll gain a little speed with a zero turn. on that much property, you won't save more than maybe 10 minutes. To get dependability and long lasting, it's gonna cost you. Something along the lines of a Husqvarna, IMO, are decent mowers.

I'm no guru at small engine repair, but me personally, I wouldn't pay for a new mower. (I'm also cheap) I'd find a good used one with less than 300 hrs on it. If the engine and transmission are OK, but has some other minor stuff wrong, you can buy it cheap, make the repairs yourself. Or drop it off at your local small engine shop, and let them go through it. Some of your small shops even sell used equipment.

If I had my druthers, I'd find a pre MTD craftsman, fix it up and even have it painted. All that can be done cheaper than the lowest priced POS that Walmart sells new.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cub Cadet units are manufactured by MTD which puts them on the low end of the dependability scale. I would recommend that you take a serious look at the brand name units with a fabricated deck. With the spring sales going on now, you should find a better unit in your price range. Brands I would consider include, but not limited to are; Ariens, Toro, Snapper, Bad Boy, etc. If you have more questions come back with exact model numbers (under the seat) and we can give you a better answer. Only recommendation I can give you now, fabricateddeck is better.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cub Cadet units are manufactured by MTD which puts them on the low end of the dependability scale. I would recommend that you take a serious look at the brand name units with a fabricated deck. With the spring sales going on now, you should find a better unit in your price range. Brands I would consider include, but not limited to are; Ariens, Toro, Snapper, Bad Boy, etc. If you have more questions come back with exact model numbers (under the seat) and we can give you a better answer. Only recommendation I can give you now, fabricateddeck is better.

The decks on most Cubs (and MTD) have the worst paint imaginable. I see so many that have had to be welded because of the rust.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And I make the 3rd peoson advising against the pressed deck.
Got 3 customers with cub ZTR's of various sizes and none have any problems with the mower itself
The decks do give problems ( too thin ) and the wash out ports manage to get water into the spindles so most get new bearings every 2 to 3 years which is about twice the frequency of other brands.
I also have a few customers with the small JD Z225 and I am impressed with the quality of design & manufacture of them, way above any other DOMESTIC ZTR's .
Being in OZ I don't see a lot of the stuff you can get over there so not a comprehensive market comparison .
AS for all of the tight turn tractors they are all bad news if driven carelessly as there is no adjustments on the steering linkages and the tight turn puts a lot of stress on the steering gear.

Lph008

Forum Newbie
Threads
And I make the 3rd peoson advising against the pressed deck.
Got 3 customers with cub ZTR's of various sizes and none have any problems with the mower itself
The decks do give problems ( too thin ) and the wash out ports manage to get water into the spindles so most get new bearings every 2 to 3 years which is about twice the frequency of other brands.
I also have a few customers with the small JD Z225 and I am impressed with the quality of design & manufacture of them, way above any other DOMESTIC ZTR's .
Being in OZ I don't see a lot of the stuff you can get over there so not a comprehensive market comparison .
AS for all of the tight turn tractors they are all bad news if driven carelessly as there is no adjustments on the steering linkages and the tight turn puts a lot of stress on the steering gear.
I ended up buying the cub cadet ztr1 50 with the fabricated deck yesterday. I'm very meticulous with my snowmobiles, atvs and power equipment so I think it should last me wuote awhile. I'll use my air hose on it after every use and I wont use the deck wash system. I work on all my own toys so I'll pull the deck off a few times throughout the season and clean the deck etc. Like i said my lawn is pretty flat so I don't think it will get beat up too bad. I also used a 10% competitor coupon so I saved myself some money there. Now I just need to buy a striping kit and possibly a bagger. I have my atv that I'll use to pull my cart around the yard for debris pickup. I appreciate the help guys

logert gogert

Threads
I ended up buying the cub cadet ztr1 50 with the fabricated deck yesterday. I'm very meticulous with my snowmobiles, atvs and power equipment so I think it should last me wuote awhile. I'll use my air hose on it after every use and I wont use the deck wash system. I work on all my own toys so I'll pull the deck off a few times throughout the season and clean the deck etc. Like i said my lawn is pretty flat so I don't think it will get beat up too bad. I also used a 10% competitor coupon so I saved myself some money there. Now I just need to buy a striping kit and possibly a bagger. I have my atv that I'll use to pull my cart around the yard for debris pickup. I appreciate the help guys
Why would you not use the deck cleaning hose function?
Personally, I put the deck all the way down, hook the hose up, turn it on, engage the pot like your supposed to, and it works GREAT

logert gogert

Threads
Why would you not use the deck cleaning hose function?
Personally, I put the deck all the way down, hook the hose up, turn it on, engage the pto like your supposed to, and it works GREAT

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
He won’t use the washout system because he knows better. You do because you are 13 and don’t know better, or did your bother type that answer too.