Long crank before starting engine

Goby1234

Forum Newbie
Threads
About a month ago my cub cadet 2135, kohler command 13, ran out of gas while mowing and wouldn’t restart. Went in the house for an hour and then it started right up. Couple days later I replaced the fuel filter and spark plug. Immediately after, it just cranked and wouldn’t turn over. Eventually I used a syringe in the fuel line at the carburetor to suck the gas up through the line , then it started. Now every time I start it after it has been sitting for a week, it cranks forever before starting. Then it runs great. Anybody have an idea of what is causing this.?

Last edited:

Goby1234

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, that’s not it. Manual Choke is working good. Just checked.
It’s been sitting since Friday and the fuel filter is still full also

Last edited:

Goby1234

Forum Newbie
Threads
What are the chances it the mechanical fuel pump?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you have a vacuum operated fuel pump [usually the one that looks like a hockey puck] they can fail this way. I had just recently doing the same thing. It would not prime at starting speeds but work enough once the engine was running to keep the engine running.

Goby1234

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ran a new fuel line and put in a slightly less restrictive fuel filter today and then tried to start it . It turned over right away. Hopefully it’s fixed. Was going to clean the carb and test the fuel pump next, but so far so good

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ran into one today that was funny would run for 20 to 30 minutes and start surging. Could slowly pull choke until it would quit surging so I knew it was fuel problem. Mower only had 86.5 hours on it but the out side of the filter was really dirty. I said what the heck so I took the old filter off. Disconnected the tank side first and held my hand over the inlet took the fuel pump side off next held it over a container turned the carb side down took my hand off the inlet and the fuel would not run out. Replaced the filter and started it up surged until the fuel hit the carb and never surge again. Can't remember seeing one run that long before the problem would show up.

Goby1234

Forum Newbie
Threads
The old filter was a small 75 micron, the new one was a clear larger bulb type that was 50 micron. So I figured it might make a difference and went back to the older small 75 micron style. Fuel line had some black particles in it when I drained it as well.