Buying Advice Liberty Z vs Gravely HD

Kssummers

Threads
Well, after 28 years with my Kubota T-series lawn tractor, I have finally decided to upgrade to a new mower and I'm on here seeking advice. I've never used a zero turn, but I think that's what I want to go with this time. I have just under an acre of flat ground with few obstacles. My dealer carries SCAG and Gravely. I think I'm debating between the Liberty Z and the Gravely HD. I like the fact that the SCAG is not as heavy and from what I've read the maintenance is easier compared to that of the Gravely. The SCAG is also about $500 cheaper. The Gravely has the 3100 hydros (2800 on SCAG) but I'm guessing for my yard that won't matter much, and I'm not plowing or pulling equipment with it. Lastly, I've noticed that bagging systems with z-turns are quite expensive compared to the lawn tractors. I would use a bagger quite often with my Kubota, but I'm thinking with the higher blade tip speeds of the zero turns that my cut will look better, even without bagging. I realize that I'm on a SCAG forum so I'm assuming most replies would favor the Liberty Z, but I'm just looking for some honest opinions and advice....thanks!

jer_d

Forum Newbie
Threads
I mowed with a finish mower attached to a Kubota B7510 for 14 years before switching to a Scag Tiger Cat 2 with 52 inch deck. The Kubota did a good job mowing but I've been very impressed with the Scag. After getting the hang of using a zero turn, I've cut about a third off of mowing time, which is considerable when mowing 5 or 6 acres (not all at once though). The grass is mostly fescue, which can get tough this time of year when it tops out, but the Scag leaves very few, if any, stragglers.

Kssummers

Threads
I went ahead and pulled the trigger today on the Liberty Z. After looking at most every mower around for the past several years, I'm afraid I was beginning to develop "paralysis through analysis." After talking with several dealers I came to realize that I knew as much or more about their mowers than they did. I know SCAGs are well built and this should be a good mower for me for quite a long time. My dealer was awesome to work with and he got me a great deal, so I'm looking forward to getting started next week when the mower is delivered.

P7K3

Threads
You made the right choice, I was in the same boat as you. My kitchen table had a half dozen brochures and I kept coming back to the Liberty.

If you decide to get the bagger, I'll tell you this, yes it's expensive, but worth every penny.

I've had my Liberty a year now. Love it!!!!

Good luck with yours & enjoy!!!!!

I went ahead and pulled the trigger today on the Liberty Z. After looking at most every mower around for the past several years, I'm afraid I was beginning to develop "paralysis through analysis." After talking with several dealers I came to realize that I knew as much or more about their mowers than they did. I know SCAGs are well built and this should be a good mower for me for quite a long time. My dealer was awesome to work with and he got me a great deal, so I'm looking forward to getting started next week when the mower is delivered.

Kssummers

Threads
P7K3, thanks, good to hear that you're happy with your decision! Also good to know about the bagger....I will probably wait until next spring and make a decision on that. I'm sure at some point I'll end up getting a bagger. Thanks for your reply!

P7K3

Threads
I'll also add fall leaf clean up has never been easier, I guess between the blade speed and the killer bag system, life got easier. My old JD would get three feet and be full.

Save your money up and go for the bagger this spring. You won't regret it.

P7K3, thanks, good to hear that you're happy with your decision! Also good to know about the bagger....I will probably wait until next spring and make a decision on that. I'm sure at some point I'll end up getting a bagger. Thanks for your reply!

Kssummers

Threads
P7K3, I did end up purchasing a bagger for my Liberty Z this summer. Wow is all I can say, it does an amazing job! Did a great job on the leaves this fall/winter as well. Could not be happier with the purchase. You were correct...I don't regret the purchase.