Liberty z starting issues?

Subdivisionbigdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys I have a Scag liberty z 48 with the Kohler 7000 series engine. I've bought this brand new 2 years ago. Late last year it started having interment starting issues that only continued to get worse. At first it was only after mowing and shutting off to trim and clean up then I go to start it up to put away only to have it click. Didn't do it all the time at first but got to the point of it doing it every time including even on cold startups. I was having to tap the starter with a hammer which as well worked at first but became useless by mid summer this year.

So the dealer came out with a brand new starter and installed. He checked all the wiring and solenoid and he said all tested good. Ok that was a few months back and only 10 hrs ago. Again only 10 hrs ago.

So a few days ago I mow and shut it off to trim and clean up like always and go to start it and pull it into the garage and.... click.... click. It worked on the third time so what gives? Is this because of Kohler starters? Is it something with scag's wiring or the solenoid? Battery is still in good shape and holding good voltage. I'm going to contact the dealer again in the next day or so btw.

I've been more than impressed with this little Scag including the Kohler 7000 engine but this no starting issue has pretty much pushed my buttons to the max. It only has 60 hrs on it btw

Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have the dealer check the ground between the battery and the engine. Also, I put lock washers on the starter mounting bolts, to make sure that the starter is well grounded. Next, stop hitting the starter with a hammer, you are only making the problem worse. From the symptoms you are describing I would be looking for a loose or dirty connection. Finally, don’t assume a two year old battery is good. I would be checking battery voltage when trying to start. A weak battery and dirty or loose connections could be the cause of your problems. Have the battery load tested.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
+1 to that. Mower batteries can go south really quickly. They get bounced around a lot. I have a habit of leaving the key on and draining mine stone dead. Even though they will charge up they're never the same after that.

tigercat

Threads
Could me a lot of reasons for that. Could be a safety switch not working correctly. Could be a faulty PTO switch. Could be a bad ground. Could be a loose wire somewhere. On my tigercat machine the module was bad. The unit was on the dash where all the wires feed into. Something was faulty. It was changed, now it starts up with no clicking from then on. Of course my machine is not the same as yours but it gives you something to trouble shoot. Call the dealer and have him look it over some more.

Gcorron

Threads
Mine does this as well. After a few times, I tested the battery, under load. It was bad. Nice that it was bad after 91 days. The dealer says they only warranty the battery for 90 days. Good dealer, huh? With a new battery, it only started doing it again later in the season. Have not called the dealer. One of the reasons I bought the thing was the extended warranty for homeowners. The gas gauge doesn't work either, never has, so far what the dealer wants to do is to pick it up. OK, Why can't I just bring you the gauge, it won't work out of the machine either? Nope, they have to pick it up, and charge me for the pickup and delivery.

Great dealer, Scag must be proud!

George

Lawn Addict
Threads
Many of the Dealers charge to come & p/up for warranty.

Maybe you know someone with a trailer ?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Often times dealers have a pick-up/drop-off employee who is not a trained mechanic. And of course they need to be compensated to haul a machine around. Some will offer free delivery of new machines, but I've never heard of one doing free transport for service.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Often times dealers have a pick-up/drop-off employee who is not a trained mechanic. And of course they need to be compensated to haul a machine around. Some will offer free delivery of new machines, but I've never heard of one doing free transport for service.

I do but then I am not a dealer

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just wanted to add that any time I get a click but my starter doesn't engage on my Z mowers I bring my lap bars in and then back out and disengage and re-engage the parking brake. If any of those safety switches aren't contacting properly the machine won't start.

Eng1635ine

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys I have a Scag liberty z 48 with the Kohler 7000 series engine. I've bought this brand new 2 years ago. Late last year it started having interment starting issues that only continued to get worse. At first it was only after mowing and shutting off to trim and clean up then I go to start it up to put away only to have it click. Didn't do it all the time at first but got to the point of it doing it every time including even on cold startups. I was having to tap the starter with a hammer which as well worked at first but became useless by mid summer this year.

So the dealer came out with a brand new starter and installed. He checked all the wiring and solenoid and he said all tested good. Ok that was a few months back and only 10 hrs ago. Again only 10 hrs ago.

So a few days ago I mow and shut it off to trim and clean up like always and go to start it and pull it into the garage and.... click.... click. It worked on the third time so what gives? Is this because of Kohler starters? Is it something with scag's wiring or the solenoid? Battery is still in good shape and holding good voltage. I'm going to contact the dealer again in the next day or so btw.

I've been more than impressed with this little Scag including the Kohler 7000 engine but this no starting issue has pretty much pushed my buttons to the max. It only has 60 hrs on it btw

Thanks
Did you ever figure exactly what your problem was. I am having the same issue. I have a 2018 Liberty Z with the Kawasaki engine. I go to cut grass it starts fine. Get done cutting and let mower sit. I go to restart it and nothing...Let it set overnight and it will start right up. Frustrating!