Let's Talk BLADES!

KM Richards

Threads
I never cut when the grass is wet.

The design of the ones I link to on Amazon looks identical to the ones on the Rotary website.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I never cut when the grass is wet.

The design of the ones I link to on Amazon looks identical to the ones on the Rotary website.
There isn’t much difference. The wing may be a little longer on the Rotary blade. I’ve had good luck with Rotary brand mower blades. They have a much larger offering than Oregon. Stems is another company that produces quality mower blades.

Last edited:

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those look pretty good

https://www.amazon.com/Zero-Turn-Mower-Deck-Blades/dp/B01FVF6I1S/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2AIXWD4EOFRJ3&keywords=Mower+blades+54”+bad+boy&qid=1652903371&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=mower+blades+54+bad+boy,lawngarden,218&sr=1-4

Reckon they balance these blades???

Maybe they should have a balance machine to be able to tack weld weights on to these things to get them balanced!
I sharpen and balance my own blades. They blades should be balanced when you get them. I always check them when new. It’s easy to balance blades. Drive you a 16d nail in a tree until it just becomes stable. Hang the blade by the center hole. Whichever side is lower, take a little off of the cutting edge on that side until it balances. Get you a 12” Nicholson Double Cut Bastard file and follow the existing angle of the cutting edge. Go to YouTube and see how it’s done.

oneoldsap

Threads
So, what brand and / or type of blade cuts best?
You know, best bang for the buck!

For my immediate need, I'm going to get the 3PK Oregon Gator G3 Blades from brutha bezos website cause they have good reviews
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RP3FLQD/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1W77XONU0R4AZ&psc=1

Just curious what the resident experts are recommending for high performance lawn mower blades.... lake something they use in NASCAR :)
I run Oregon blades on my Z-Turn , and Tractor . Standard blades all summer , and Gators in the fall . I sharpen them in a Vice , with a 4.5" Grinder , just don't heat them up , take your time . I find sharpening every week works best . Gators pack grass on the top and front of the deck , and if you don't spray some release agent of some kind on the deck , they can be a bitch to clean , especially if there's dirt flying . Turns it right into Concrete .

loneryder

Threads
These came on my Ferris z700 and I didn't sharpen them until about 80 hrs. Mow pasture fields half grass and half weeds. Grass gets ahead of me often so I'm cutting tall thick stuff. They cost a lot but you don't have to sharpen them very often. After sharpening they hold the edge a long time. Was afraid they wouldn't after belt sharpening.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
These came on my Ferris z700 and I didn't sharpen them until about 80 hrs. Mow pasture fields half grass and half weeds. Grass gets ahead of me often so I'm cutting tall thick stuff. They cost a lot but you don't have to sharpen them very often. After sharpening they hold the edge a long time. Was afraid they wouldn't after belt sharpening.
Fisher Barton is the OEM blade supplier for Gravely/Ariens. I haven’t seen any noticeable advantage in them compared to Rotary brand blades.