Let's Talk About ATV Lawn Mower

Bange

Threads
I have seen many implements for an ATV... some creative and some ready by the industry.
As an advantage I see two important points (in my case)...
The first is the low maintenance cost (many parts come from motorcycles) and a second use inside the farm is mobility with more safety and speed.
As a disadvantage I see the higher fuel consumption, especially with a second engine exclusively for cutting... there is also the issue of collecting leaves and excess grass.
What do you think?

Attachments

• ATV  4.jpg
    ATV 4.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 5
  • ATV 3.jpg
    ATV 3.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 5
  • ATV 2.jpg
    ATV 2.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 5
  • ATV 1.jpg
    ATV 1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 6

Bange

Threads
Oops!
CraigH, do you have one and use it as a lawn mower, or did you just find it interesting?
I'm still studying the use of an ATV...say something.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Note In order to do this you must be use a water cooled ATV. Air cooled will not survive being drove slow for extended periods under heavy loads. Even water cooled ones needs extra cooling fans.

Bange

Threads
Here we don't have any air-cooled ones and the powers are varied for work and even ready for competitions on muddy trails, big obstacles, big slopes... I think that cooling is not a big problem to use it as a lawn mower .

CraigH

Threads
I'm curious about these as I have an atv plus a ride on mower, both take up much needed space and I've looked at the tow behind mowers before, but the price puts me off them as they're more than a ride on (second hand). Plus our garden isn't quite big enough to warrant a tow behind, though it would be nice to only have the atv to look after rather than the mower too.
I have also thought about making a leaf/grass collector for the mower/atv myself as we don't have a bagger for the mower, not got round to it yet but it's a plan for a rainy day.

Bange

Threads
According to the report, you have both comfortably, but you don't collect the cut grass...
Think about it:
For Cut:

To collect:

Benefits (in my view):
- low maintenance (only 1 vehicle/engine)
- no additional fuel.
- two utilities for 1 vehicle

Problems (not much):
- space in the garage.
- when the kids want to ride the ATV and you want to mow the lawn.

Last edited:

CraigH

Threads
Your spot on with the pros and cons there, though the cons wouldn't be considered so much for myself as I'd probably keep the tow behind attachments outside covered with a tarp or something down the end of the garden and as much as my son loves the quad, he's not quite big enough to ride it solo yet (he's only 2, lol).

As I said before, it's something I've been looking into myself, but sadly I don't think there's a great market or range of products in the UK as no one has huge gardens (we have what's considered a massive garden and it's only about 1/4-1/2 acre). And to date, I've never seen a single one (tow behind attachments) being used.

If I'm being honest, an atv/quad and a ride on mower aren't common things over here, only one of my mates has a quad and I only know of a few people who own ride ons around here, as stated above, because no one has big gardens.

I'm pretty certain I'll be sticking as I am with the quad and ride on to achieve all the jobs round here (even taking the bins to the end of the drive just about a 1/2 mile round trip on the quad) as I can't see the tow behinds being efficient or cost effective for me, but I'm still very curious none the less as they do seem an amazing idea for the right circumstances.

Bange

Threads
Well, my property has +-3,900m² in total, two small houses and a large swimming pool (by Brazilian standards), there is a very large area with many trees, grass with bushes, which grows all year round without stopping and I keep everything trimmed it is expensive or time consuming.
Paying for the service is out of the question... time I have, as I am retired (66 years old), but I value comfort or convenience and I see a good opportunity in using the ATV (more economical) as a machine to cut grass.
Both the ATV and the mini tractor, when new they are very expensive, but for the amount a second hand ATV is cheap and its maintenance is the same, because I can repair it as well as my tractor, car, motorcycle, etc... and as for parts, there are a lot of suppliers, much more than the tractor.
Each case is different and each one must evaluate their own, considering the pros and cons placed here.
I would like to see more comments from people who use an ATV as a lawnmower.