Leaking hydro-gear charge cover - thoughts on proposed fix

raldem7

Threads
  • / Leaking hydro-gear charge cover - thoughts on proposed fix
I have a 2011 fastrak SD with ZT-3100 hydro-gear. There is a slow leak around one of the screws holding the charge pump cover plate. It leaks because it was over-torqued and stripped the threads inside the transmission. The connection is good enough to hold the charge plate, but it doesn't completely tighten. About 1/2" of oil needs to be added to the reservoir every 3 hours of use.

I have an idea and would like feedback on this idea, tips to improve chance of success, or better ideas (other than getting a new transmission). I have already tried replacing the O-ring. Tapping new threads would not be an option till off-season since it might not take on the first attempt.

My current idea is to get a new screw (HFHCS 1/4-20 x .75). Add a thin coating to bottom 1/2 of threads with something like Permatex, allow to dry, quickly remove old thread before all the oil leaks out, and insert new coated screw. I am thinking only to coat the bottom half of the replacement screw threads to reduce the chance of any epoxy-like material contaminating the transmission oil.

Thanks,
RD

charge plate.png

raldem7

Threads
I ended up using 3-wraps of oil-rated thread tape on a new bolt along with non-hardening thread sealant. It's gotten me through 3 hours of mowing so far with no leak. Fortunately the tape allows the bolt to stay snug against the cover plate where before it would remain loose and spin when just trying to reach finger-tight. Might not need to look into potential trouble of tapping new threads after all.

Mr. Mower

Threads
Sub'd